Southampton Terminal Pick Up

britoutofwater

We're doing a transatlantic eastbound and my mum will be picking us up from the terminal but I can't find out anything about how easy this will be for her and the terminal website is useless. Our mobile/cell phones wont work so we wont be able to call her as we disembark and I can't even find out what time she should expect us.

We're in a D4, so I imagine we'll be one of the later groups to disembark and really we're willing/hoping to wait until the last moment to disembark if it means she wont have to get up at 6am to drive down from London! So the questions...

- What time should I suggest she meet us?

- Is there a payphone in the arrivals area so we can call her?

- Is there a short-term car park she can wait in, or will she have to circle the pick-up area until we appear?

We're doing a transatlantic eastbound and my mum will be picking us up from the terminal but I can't find out anything about how easy this will be for her and the terminal website is useless. Our mobile/cell phones wont work so we wont be able to call her as we disembark and I can't even find out what time she should expect us.

We're in a D4, so I imagine we'll be one of the later groups to disembark and really we're willing/hoping to wait until the last moment to disembark if it means she wont have to get up at 6am to drive down from London! So the questions...

- What time should I suggest she meet us?

- Is there a payphone in the arrivals area so we can call her?

- Is there a short-term car park she can wait in, or will she have to circle the pick-up area until we appear?

If you arrange to meet her at 10.30am you should be fine, there is a short term parking area which she would probably have to pay for but there are pleanty of areas in which to just wait. I don't know about a payphone but there may be one there however you shouldn't need it, why don't you have your phone carrier switch on roaming on your phone before you sail so that you can call her?

why don't you have your phone carrier switch on roaming on your phone before you sail so that you can call her?

I think now this is automatic with providers, and of course cells now work 24/7 on the ship.

David.

I think now this is automatic with providers, and of course cells now work 24/7 on the ship.

David.

UK ones are automatic I believe but I don't think that it is the same in the USA, and a non-roaming phone can't access the ship's satellite.

I'm in the exact same situation. We're arriving in Southampton and our phones won't work overseas, a lot of Americans have this issue it's something to do with a different technology in Europe and another in Asia.

I heard that there are no payphones in Southampton. Cap'n P also recommended for us to arrange pick at 10:30am since we're on deck 5 like you.

Is there an easily recognizable landmark to meet by somebody in the terminal waiting area?

Cheers!

I'm in the exact same situation. We're arriving in Southampton and our phones won't work overseas, a lot of Americans have this issue it's something to do with a different technology in Europe and another in Asia.

I heard that there are no payphones in Southampton. Cap'n P also recommended for us to arrange pick at 10:30am since we're on deck 5 like you.

Is there an easily recognizable landmark to meet by somebody in the terminal waiting area?

Cheers!

Not really but the terminals aren't huge so either your car driver will be near the exit with a sign or if you are meeting family you should probably recognise them.

or if you are meeting family you should probably recognise them.

Hahah it's been a while since seeing them. I'll make sure to get recent photos before we leave!

(I have heard that it's supposedly going to be a madhouse on the morning of June 5th because of the jubillee thing)

Hahah it's been a while since seeing them. I'll make sure to get recent photos before we leave!

(I have heard that it's supposedly going to be a madhouse on the morning of June 5th because of the jubillee thing)

It will be jammed but they do segregate the arriving from the departing passengers so I would think that you should be OK, personally I am staying as far away as I can. You shouldnt have many problems though as you are leaving the ship, traffic might be heavy as there are 3 ships in but there are 5 terminals, they are the only ships in and QM2 is on the most modern one which will make life easier. You are only 300 yards or so from Dock Gate 4 and then almost in the centre of town.

Archived