Ha Long Bay

SellaVee

If you've been docked at Ha Long Bay before, can you tell me if it's better to book a private junk trip beforehand or just get off the ship and book a trip from someone on shore on the day?

I'd rather not use the ship's tour so I'd like to hear people's experiences of DIY and I'd also welcome tour guide recommendations.

Many thanks in advance.

If you've been docked at Ha Long Bay before, can you tell me if it's better to book a private junk trip beforehand or just get off the ship and book a trip from someone on shore on the day?

I'd rather not use the ship's tour so I'd like to hear people's experiences of DIY and I'd also welcome tour guide recommendations.

Many thanks in advance.

Just got back from Halong Bay last December. If you find enough people, you can hire a private boat for a longer cruise of the Bay, and cheaper than the ship excursion. The more people you can find, the cheaper the price. Just take the tender to shore, and try to negotiate for the best price. The person we used was Mike, and each of us paid US$30 for a 6 hour cruise for a group of 22 people. It was a wonderful cruise! Not to be missed.

Just got back from Halong Bay last December. If you find enough people, you can hire a private boat for a longer cruise of the Bay, and cheaper than the ship excursion. The more people you can find, the cheaper the price. Just take the tender to shore, and try to negotiate for the best price. The person we used was Mike, and each of us paid US$30 for a 6 hour cruise for a group of 22 people. It was a wonderful cruise! Not to be missed.

Our experience was similar to YVRs.

We were there for an afternoon then a full day. On the afternoon we booked a junk for next day.

90USD in total for about ten of us for a six hour cruise, another group paid 60 USD total for a four hour cruise. So a lot cheaper than YVRs but it was about 4 years ago, it was the lower grade of junk (there are two grades, the difference is the standard, not the size), and it didn't include food or drink. I guess the price also depends on demand - we were a small ship and just one other small ship in at the same time.

The cruise is magical, amongs the limestone karats, like being on another (waterlogged) planet. Misty too - that's quite normal and adds to the atmosphere.

Don't bother with ships two hour cruise, that's barely time to sail across the bay to the karsts, make it 4 or 6 or 8. Pre-booking over the net is a guarantee, but comes at a significant price.

JB :)

We were in Halong Bay in December and booked a private junk tour in advance with Smile Tours. The full day tour was fantastic. We visited a fishing village where locals took us out on small boats to less visited parts of the bay. The food provided on board was a true feast. Enjoy this beautiful part of Vietnam!

• 4 months later...
What is the town like where you get off the tender??

There's virtually nothing near the tender pier.

And the town is pretty dire and featureless.

You need a cruise or a tour to the countryside or Hanoi

JB :)