Help me build the ultimate Bodden tour

Addictedtocruising

My Husband and I (age early 50's) are going to Roatan for the first time and have a tour booked with Victor Bodden. We decided we want a private tour since we have done many tours where 16 or so people piling in and out of the van for every photo op, attraction, and so on can be very time consuming.

Any and all advice would be appreciated of must sees, grocery store items to buy, where to have a nice lobster lunch and some beach time etc. Maybe even a map would be great!

What was your ultimate tour with Victor Bodden? Driver recommendations would be great too!

Thanks much

Donna

In our 4 times to Roatan we found that it is difficult to see it all in one trip. One Bodden tour we covered the area from a little I think east of Coxen Hole and then to West End and West Bay. We do not zip and did not have a need to see the monkeys, just concentrated on seeing the island. On that trip we had lunch at Half Moon Bay resort where you dine outside right by the water . I recall the catch of the day being the best fish we ever ate.. Next trip we toured the untraveled east end, did a mangrove tunnel tour, etc. Last time we hired a driver through a friend of mine @ Coxen and just went to West Bay beach and rented chairs and shade at Argentine grill pay as you go...On March 19 we will dock @ Mahogany and are going to Turquoise bay resort for the first time hoping for a laid back quiet experience..They pick you up and return you for $25 PP and no entrance fee..There are great photo ops in Roatan as it is very hilly like Jamaica, very friendy people..If you like beer get your driver to stop at a convenience store for $1 Port Royal beer, ummm..Hope you enjoy Roatan. I bet you will return..

SANY2361.jpg

image hosting over 10mb

SANY1909.jpg

free screen capture

SANY1878.jpg

screen capture software

In our 4 times to Roatan we found that it is difficult to see it all in one trip. One Bodden tour we covered the area from a little I think east of Coxen Hole and then to West End and West Bay. We do not zip and did not have a need to see the monkeys, just concentrated on seeing the island. On that trip we had lunch at Half Moon Bay resort where you dine outside right by the water . I recall the catch of the day being the best fish we ever ate.. Next trip we toured the untraveled east end, did a mangrove tunnel tour, etc. Last time we hired a driver through a friend of mine @ Coxen and just went to West Bay beach and rented chairs and shade at Argentine grill pay as you go...On March 19 we will dock @ Mahogany and are going to Turquoise bay resort for the first time hoping for a laid back quiet experience..They pick you up and return you for $25 PP and no entrance fee..There are great photo ops in Roatan as it is very hilly like Jamaica, very friendy people..If you like beer get your driver to stop at a convenience store for $1 Port Royal beer, ummm..Hope you enjoy Roatan. I bet you will return..

Ah beer now you are talking! I'm hoping since Bodden does not provide drinks that maybe I can request the driver to bring a cooler so that we can put our water bottles from the ship and definitely stop for beer :)

I believe the Half Moon Bay resort is the one I've heard of the with the lobster lunch.

Thank you for all the great ideas and pictures!

Have a great weekend

Donna

AS a follow up, you will dock at Coxen, no worries missing Roatan there..Right outside the gate there is a ton of shopping up and down the street that you can do after your Bodden tour if you like...Here is a link of Turquoise Bay if you want to check it out . Your driver will take you wherever you like, so might be a good beach stop for you. The hawkers have gotten pretty bad at West Bay, and I am hoping this will be better for us....May seem crazy, but when you walk out the gate at Coxen and go to your right there is a small pier where Larry Gale parks his harbor security boat..He is a wonderful man and can help you with a lot of things like him getting us a driver once...He even took my wife and I for a harbor tour in his boat and would not accept a penny. This is him in the photo, so if you see him tell him Buddy & Glynda from Texas said hi and we will see him next November...If you are wondering about tipping your Bodden driver, my wife and I do the $80 tour and give the driver $20 and they seem fine with that..

SANY1921.jpg

free screenshot software

SANY1919.jpg

prntscr

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

Edited by overthehillcruiser

AS a follow up, you will dock at Coxen, no worries missing Roatan there..Right outside the gate there is a ton of shopping up and down the street that you can do after your Bodden tour if you like...Here is a link of Turquoise Bay if you want to check it out . Your driver will take you wherever you like, so might be a good beach stop for you. TRhe hawkers have gotten pretty bad at West Bay, and I am hoping this will be better for us....May seem crazy, but when you walk out the gate at Coxen and go to your right there is a small pier where Larry Gale parks his harbor security boat..He is a wonderful man and can help you with a lot of things like him getting us a driver once...He even took my wife and I for a harbor tour in his boat and would not accept a penny. This is him in the photo, so if you see him tell him Buddy & Glynda from Texas said hi and we will see him next November...If you are wondering about tipping your Bodden driver, my wife and I do the $80 tour and give the driver $20 and they seem fine with that..

You are a wealth of information! I'm sure the tipping question would have come from me sooner or later.

I am already researching Turquoise Bay as we speak, do you know if our driver could drop us off there? They only have their excursion as an option on the website, I guess I can shoot them an e-mail.

I'm sure I could ask Victor all these questions but I wanted to get some sort of an itinerary lined up before I contact him again.

Thanks again!

Hi. I saw somewhere where Victor recommends Turquoise Bay and they can take you there I am sure. You can also e mail Kimberly at info@turquoisebayresort.com and she is very good about answering..

You are a wealth of information! I'm sure the tipping question would have come from me sooner or later.

I am already researching Turquoise Bay as we speak, do you know if our driver could drop us off there? They only have their excursion as an option on the website, I guess I can shoot them an e-mail.

I'm sure I could ask Victor all these questions but I wanted to get some sort of an itinerary lined up before I contact him again.

Thanks again!

SANY2361.jpg

image hosting over 10mb

SANY1909.jpg

free screen capture

SANY1878.jpg

screen capture software

We are scheduled to be in Roatan the week after you and have booked the private tour with Victor Bodden. We dock at Mahogany Bay, so I hope we can make it to the pier. Hopefully the boat can make it in. We were planning to go to West Bay as we are not interested in the monkeys or ziplines. The entire family really enjoys the beach. I am also interested in drinking a few of the local beers. My questions:

1. With Bodden, can he stop and pick up waters and beers for the day?

2. How much extra cash should we bring if all we really want to do is relax on the beach, maybe snack a little, have a few beers, and snorkel. We have our own gear. We will want to rent a couple chairs.

3. How much beach time will we have if we get off the boat fairly quickly after it arrives?

4. How long is the drive to West Bay?

5. What is at West End?

6. Are there any other "must sees' in Roatan? Again, we really enjoy the beach and want to spend as much time there as possible.

7. How does West Bay compare to Seven Mile on Grand Cayman? Dr's Cave in Jamaica? I understand there will be vendors as there are at Dr's Cave.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.

1. With Bodden, can he stop and pick up waters and beers for the day?

2. How much extra cash should we bring if all we really want to do is relax on the beach, maybe snack a little, have a few beers, and snorkel. We have our own gear. We will want to rent a couple chairs.

3. How much beach time will we have if we get off the boat fairly quickly after it arrives?

4. How long is the drive to West Bay?

5. What is at West End?

6. Are there any other "must sees' in Roatan? Again, we really enjoy the beach and want to spend as much time there as possible.

7. How does West Bay compare to Seven Mile on Grand Cayman? Dr's Cave in Jamaica? I understand there will be vendors as there are at Dr's Cave.

No problem with #1...$50 should be enough plus whatever you might want to tip your driver, and the cost for the tour. About 40 min to West Bay from Mahogany..West End has shops and a wonderful place to eat called Half Moon Bay resort, eat by the water on a patio, wonderful IMO.West Bay does not seem as hemmed in as 7 mile to me..I like it a lot better..Have not been to Dr's Cave. There will be vendors at West Bay , but not real bad...Must see in Roatan is just the wonderful views from high up..I will be really surprised if you do not enjoy it.We did PAYG at Argentine Grill on West Bay last time . $10 PP for chairs and shade. Might take $75 at least other than Bodden tour cost. Have fun..:)