Croatian Classics

Booked on the Croatian Classics cruise in June. Anyone able to offer advice on ports of call e.g. how interesting the ports are, how accessible the nice parts are, and any particular excursions to consider?

We have been to Venice before and happy to explore on our own. Also been to Hvar but stayed in the very attractive town. Trieste, Rovinj and Bar are new to us.

We did a similar cruise last year. We too have holidayed in Venice, on the cruise visit we used the mini overhead railway can't remember what it's called to take is from the port into a nearby square. Then we walked via a very interesting route to the Accademia ie the area opposite St Marks Square then walked back. By a different route along the canal side. That isn't the Grand canal but the main shipping route. All lined with restaurants ice cream parlours etc. lovely.

ROVINJ was lovely, again we just wandered visiting sites we'd read about online and in guidebooks.

TRIESTE again did our own thing, a very interesting central square and a general wander about.

Thanks for your reply. Last time in Venice we used the monorail to the Roma square and took the water bus down the Grand Canal. Visited the Accademia Gallery, wandered around, had lunch and strolled back. Looking to go the the Guggenheim Gallery and probably the Opera House. Your return route sounds nice. Any idea how long it took?

Anyone had any experience booking tickets ahead for the Doge's Palace?

As for the other ports of call, I have a good idea about the excursions we would like to do but will wait to see the timings to see whether we can combine a half day trip with enough time to explore the local town as well.

Anyone done the lake cruise from Bar?

We also visited, or should I say I visited the Peggy Guggenheim gallery last September. My OH just stayed in the sun and whiled away his time.

We just strolled back and sat at a gellateria? to eat extra large ice creams with Baileys, yummy

Difficult to say how long it would take guessing an hour if you strolled without too much looking around and photograph stops.

All in all a lovely day celebrating our wedding anniversary.

Have been to Rovinj, it was a beautiful place. We walked around the narrow streets that climbed up to a church or cathedral that was on the top of the hill. Fabulous views from the top and lovely art galleries and buildings on the way up.

Think there was a market too, fruit, veg etc from what I remember, that was nice to stroll through. We Looked around the town in the afternoon as we went on a boat ride up the Lim Fjord, think that's the right name, in the morning. It was very relaxing and scenic, there were several naturists along the way, on shore and on small boats - they weren't part of the scenery though!

There were other places to go with ship excursions that looked interesting too.

I would happily return given the opportunity 😀