Blue Hole Excursion

bamagirl14

I am thinking about booking blue hole excursion using Liberty Tours Jamaica, Ricardo Riley. I know that Ricardo is awesome and this excursion gets nothing but Excellent reviews. Everyone who has been says its a "must do". The only thing holding me back is the 2 hr trip from port to blue hole and another 2 hr back. I guess my question is this ... Is it worth it? What's in this two hr drive? I have kids 11 and 17. Is the ride fun? Is it a boring drive? etc. Any help/info would be great in helping me to make a final decision. Thank you in advance.

we went over Christmas and Ricardo took us. He met us in Falmouth The ride ride was about 1 1/2 hours There were 8 of us including my 17 and 22 year olds. They had a blast with him. He is like everybodys friend. It is sooo much fun and half the fun is the ride. The blue hole is amazing hopefully Ricardo sets you up with Riley as your guide. We loved him so much. We have a youtube video called Oasis of the seas - i lived which will show you what we did. We went to scotchies after for lunch, also not to miss. This has been my favorite excursion and I have been on over 30 cruises. I wish I could back right now! Have a great time!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked (8 of us) with Patrice Bailey (IOS 2/22/16 sailing). She has been great to deal with via email. And she said the first stop is Blue Hole, then as you work your way back to the ship, you stop and see the sights, shop, and eat. She has our day planned, including her final sentence "the important thing is to return you to ship in good enough time". ;) I am looking fwd to meeting her as the feedback I read prior to booking was all very positive!

The drive is gorgeous and Ricardo with Liberty knows everything you could ever want to know about Jamaica. He is warm and you will leave your day with him feeling as if you've known him for a long time. My teenagers loved it. So much so we're doing the same exact tour again in August.

Been reading the great reviews on Liberty for the Blue Hold Excursion in Falmouth Jamaica... i can't seem to find the price for this excursion.

Also trying to find something for 17 and 18 year old girls. Thinking this excursion seems perfect. Any thoughts would be great

Edited by jjpugs

Now I am worried about this new mosquito virus being that Blue Hole is up in the mountain area with a lot of trees/vegetation. Is anyone else worried??

Nope. Haven't been pregnant for 32 years, I bought bug spray, and this isn't really anything more than the flu with a fancy name. It's the "shock" story of the hour, that's all.

Who is most susceptible?

While the Zika infection is not particularly serious for most people, the virus is a high risk for pregnant women, who have seen it linked to congenital birth defects like microcephaly (fetal brain damage). The CDC currently recommends that any pregnant women, regardless of trimester, postpone travel to any region that could be affected by Zika. In addition, women who are trying to become pregnant are also at risk.

How does it spread?

Zika is most commonly transmitted through a mosquito bite; Aedes mosquitoes are aggressive daytime biters, which is unfortunate for cruise ship passengers who tour ports during the day. Rarely, the virus can be passed from mother to fetus during pregnancy or even during birth. There is a report of the virus being spread through blood transfusion and one stating it was transmitted through sexual contact.

What are cruise lines doing about it?

Carnival Corp., which comprises cruise lines including Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Costa and Cunard, is sending information about Zika virus to passengers booked on cruises to affected areas. Pregnant women who need to cancel their cruises will be provided future cruise credits for them and their traveling companions to rebook at a later time. Norwegian Cruise Line is allowing passengers who are before final payment to select a different itinerary that does not visit the affected area without penalty; passengers who have made final payment may choose a future cruise credit. Royal Caribbean is handling passenger concerns on a case-by-case basis

What are the symptoms?

Only one in five of those infected with Zika will actually experience symptoms. These include mild fever, rash, joint pain, conjunctivitis (red eyes), diarrhea, headache or muscle pain. The illness typically goes away in a week and rarely requires hospitalization.

Two hours one way for a swimming hole? No thanks. Perhaps if we didn't have any number of "sliding rocks" and swimming holes in our area, I'd be more interested, but to spend four hours total in transit, I'd expect to see something very unique.

• 3 months later...

Just back from Liberty of the Seas May 15, 2016. Went to Blue Hole with Ricardo from Liberty Tours- highly recommend him!

It was the best day of our trip!!!! It was me, DH, DD21, DD19 and DS15. The guides were great!!! I am short, in my 40's and very unsure on my feet- Ricardo (also the name of our Blue Hole guide)- made sure to help me every step of the way. He took our camera and made sure to get great pictures and recordings of our time there. There was also another couple with us- he took her iPhone and recorded the day for them. She did not have a waterproof cover but he (and the other guides) were super careful and skilled at their jobs! I did every jump and even crawled into the cave under the waterfall! If you have a chance- GO!!

Liberty Tours was awesome- very good communication by email up until the day we left for our cruise. His directions to find him once off the boat were fabulous! As I said above there were my family of 5 and and another couple. So the 7 of us climbed into the very nice, air conditioned van and off we went. The trip was about 1 1/2 hours but didn't seem that long as we talked the whole way there. Ricardo made sure to point out points of interest and answered all our questions. He stayed with our belongings while we toured Blue Hole. After wards- he took us for a jerk chicken lunch and even stopped by a road side stand so we could sample some of the Jamaican fruits.

Would do this tour again in a minute!!