Taxi vs private driver advice in Ocho Rios?

Scarlettptista

Hubby and I want to check out the falls and do some shopping, but he's leary of the taxis, as he's heard some bad stories about Jamaica.

We're the type that likes to do our own thing and explore, but we're concerned about safety. I think a taxi is a good bet, as I've already been quoted $110 for a driver.

Could anyone share their experiences of either?

We have never had a problem with a taxi driver. Used different ones in Negril, Montego Bay, Falmouth and Ochi. All Good, every time. :)

And if they do not wait for you during a round trip fare, it's easy to contact the dispatcher?

I've felt fine taking taxis in Mexico, I just want to weigh my best options for Ochi! It seems the mass consensus is "book an excursion", and that's way too impersonal for me!

• 1 year later...

I booked Richie for a shore excursion for 5-6 hours. He has a car that seats 7 and a bus that seats 14. The more people you have the less you pay. I found people on Cruise Critic Roll Call for my Princess Cruise and posted a message telling everyone about the tour. Within a couple of days I had 14 people signed up!

He will drive you anywhere you want to go such as nature, adventure, shopping, etc.

I told Richie that I didn’t want to go to the usual tourist places. Since I love Botanical Gardens I asked him about Turtle River Falls, Botanical Gardens and Bird Aviary. He said he thought it would be a great place to visit and afterwards he would drive around and give us a tour of Ocho Rios.

Richie was amazing! He is a laugh a minute type of guy and very entertaining! He took care of us the whole way, had beverages in his van and showed us the best of the island. His love of his country truly shows!

Richie drove us around pointing out many places of interest, made some roadside stops, which included a man making/selling fresh dried herbs and gave us a pottery demonstration!

I would recommend him to anyone who will be going to Jamaica. He without a doubt made the excursion to Jamaica a memory I will never forget!

He will respond quickly. http://www.excursionochorios.net

richiebrooks2@yahoo.com

Tell him that Carol recommended him and he gave us a grand tour in January.