Good beach to snorkel/relax

redefinition

Fiance and I are going to port in Curacao this Feb on a Sunday from 9A - 8P (I'm assuming this is ship time, based out of Miami) at the Mega port. We are looking for a beach we can reach with public transport/taxi (reasonable price so not too far) that is decent snorkeling, good swimming, and has facilites to eat/change/shower/have shade.

Recommendations?

If this is asking too much of a beach, any other ideas for two fairly adventurous 30 somethings that don't want to be in crowds?:cool:

Two options we can highly reccommend:

1. Playa Forti, near WestPunt. This was a small, very very quiet beach, surrounded by rock walls on three sides. Pebble beach, not sand, but still great for swimming and stretching out. Plenty of room to spread a towel, and there was one table with an umbrella -- which we happily occupied. You must climb down a stairway to get to the beach - but we had it all to ourselves for at least an hour before heading down the road. There is a restaurant on the hill south of the beach, but there are no washrooms on the beach. Although this may seem remote, Playa Forti was a highlight of our December 2013 cruise - having the place to ourselves was a wonderful surprise/treat. Public/no charge/free parking.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa_Forti

Link2: http://*******/maps/5EQuL

2. Playa Daaibooi - a larger, wider, sandy beach - frequented by friendly Dutch speakers. Very friendly staff at the on-beach/casual restaurant (Daaibooi Beach Bar) where we enjoyed a great Heineken and "Dutch hotdog". Try it. Yum. Feral chickens running around. Plenty of umbreallas and tables, if that's what you want, also plenty of open-sand and open beach area, as well as washrooms. Beautiful spot, fun vibe. Free parking/No charge beach access. Great snorkelling.

Link: http://www.daaibooi.com/

Link2: http://*******/maps/Kz5cv

We rented a car, so unsure about the public transit - but the rental was *well worth* the experience. We walked off the ship, rented the car within ~30 minutes.

Best wishes for a great holiday!

K&K

Edited by K&KSk

• 3 weeks later...

I agree within renting a car to get to some great beaches in Curacao. Some of the best beaches are in the Westpunt direction. Some great snorkeling and swimming, some of the best in our experience.

In addition to those mentioned by the previous poster, we liked Playa Jeremi and Klein Knip.

I agree within renting a car to get to some great beaches in Curacao. Some of the best beaches are in the Westpunt direction. Some great snorkeling and swimming, some of the best in our experience.

In addition to those mentioned by the previous poster, we liked Playa Jeremi and Klein Knip.

Was this a beach trip or snorkel trip? Am interested in finding good snorkel excursions for Curacao

Was this a beach trip or snorkel trip? Am interested in finding good snorkel excursions for Curacao

We actually went looking for places to snorkel. I believe it was Playa Jeremi where we snorkeled. Fantastic elk horn coral. We just stopped at Klein Knip to take some photos.

Edited by dioxide45

We actually went looking for places to snorkel. I believe it was Playa Jeremi where we snorkeled. Fantastic elk horn coral. We just stopped at Klein Knip to take some photos.

Sounds nice. I have contacted one of the local tour companies. This is what they will provide:

We can organize an awesome snorkel trip to the amazing

"Santu Pretu" and the legendary Blue room, probably some of

the best dive/snorkel spots Curaçao has to offer! we would

pick you up at one o'clock and drive over to the snorkel

location, the trip includes lunch normally, in this case we

will provide for some nice snacks for on the road!

For this, they are asking $75/person and it is a 5 hour excursion. Would

love to hear your opinion.

Steve

This is an awesome option. You will not be able to find these spots quickly on your own and Santu Pretu and especially the Blue Room are amazing.

As far as Jeremi - if you rent a car and visit this beach, PLEASE watch your belongings, do not leave anything in your car. There is no security and being in a remote area, cars do get broken into at this particular beach.

This is an awesome option. You will not be able to find these spots quickly on your own and Santu Pretu and especially the Blue Room are amazing.

As far as Jeremi - if you rent a car and visit this beach, PLEASE watch your belongings, do not leave anything in your car. There is no security and being in a remote area, cars do get broken into at this particular beach.

That's good to hear. I know it isn't that much $$ for an excursion, but wanted opinions since I've never been. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds nice. I have contacted one of the local tour companies. This is what they will provide:

We can organize an awesome snorkel trip to the amazing

"Santu Pretu" and the legendary Blue room, probably some of

the best dive/snorkel spots Curaçao has to offer! we would

pick you up at one o'clock and drive over to the snorkel

location, the trip includes lunch normally, in this case we

will provide for some nice snacks for on the road!

For this, they are asking $75/person and it is a 5 hour excursion. Would

love to hear your opinion.

Steve

Hi,

This sounds like a great excursion. Can you please let me know what company you contacted? Thanks.

• 1 month later...