South Shore Zip, Snorkeling, and Transportation

JMLLA

With the helpfull info I've gotten so far from this board, I have decided to do the South Shore Zipline (can't get past going somewhere without the safety line). We would like to finish this up with some snorkeling. I would prefer snorkeling off the beach and just hanging out, but wonder if I need to take a boat trip to get good snorkeling.

I have talked to Victor about booking a guide, but if he is just dropping us off at South Shore and then dropping us off at a beach is it worth paying a guide? I believe South Shore offers round trip transportation. Not sure if it would also include a nearby beach. I am on the Carnival Legend and only have from 8:00 to 7:00.

Anyway, any suggestions?

I've been looking at shoretrips.com, but I can't tell for sure if the zipline they take you to is South Shore. The website talks about the safety lines, so I think it might be. According to the website, they take you to West Bay beach after the zipline. I'm not sure if there's good snorkeling at that beach, I'm not quite done with my research yet. :p

With the helpfull info I've gotten so far from this board, I have decided to do the South Shore Zipline (can't get past going somewhere without the safety line). We would like to finish this up with some snorkeling. I would prefer snorkeling off the beach and just hanging out, but wonder if I need to take a boat trip to get good snorkeling.

I have talked to Victor about booking a guide, but if he is just dropping us off at South Shore and then dropping us off at a beach is it worth paying a guide? I believe South Shore offers round trip transportation. Not sure if it would also include a nearby beach. I am on the Carnival Legend and only have from 8:00 to 7:00.

Anyway, any suggestions?

We toured with Victor in January and it is VERY worth it! Our guide was Tex, and he is great. We did South Shore zip line and we snorkeled from a small boat out of Coxen Hole. The snorkeling was SUPER! Tex got in the water with us and made sure everyone saw lots of fish, all the while being sure we were safe.

Tex then took us to eat lunch at Mavis and Dixie's. That was one of our favorite things....what a great place! After that, we walked around Coxen Hole and shopped, while Tex kept our belongings safely in his van. It was probably one of the best tours we have ever taken...very worry-free and relaxing!

We toured with Victor in January and it is VERY worth it! Our guide was Tex, and he is great. We did South Shore zip line and we snorkeled from a small boat out of Coxen Hole. The snorkeling was SUPER! Tex got in the water with us and made sure everyone saw lots of fish, all the while being sure we were safe.

Tex then took us to eat lunch at Mavis and Dixie's. That was one of our favorite things....what a great place! After that, we walked around Coxen Hole and shopped, while Tex kept our belongings safely in his van. It was probably one of the best tours we have ever taken...very worry-free and relaxing!

That sounds great. Is the snorkel trip the one they mention on their website? If the snorkeling is much better by the boat, then maybe I should go that route. Did you leave out as soon as the ship docked, and how much time did you have left when you returned to the ship? After snorkeling, how much time did you have to shop or just hang out?

One last thing. Is Victors house nearby? We would like to see the monkeys, but don't want to spend our day driving to it.

I've been looking at shoretrips.com, but I can't tell for sure if the zipline they take you to is South Shore. The website talks about the safety lines, so I think it might be. According to the website, they take you to West Bay beach after the zipline. I'm not sure if there's good snorkeling at that beach, I'm not quite done with my research yet. :p

Yea, I think the South Shore zipline is the one Shoretrips uses. I believe the pictures on Shoretrips of the zipline are from the South Shore zipline web page. I believe the description is the same also. I did look into Shoretrips, and that may still be an option. Like you, I have not done enough research yet,

That sounds great. Is the snorkel trip the one they mention on their website? If the snorkeling is much better by the boat, then maybe I should go that route. Did you leave out as soon as the ship docked, and how much time did you have left when you returned to the ship? After snorkeling, how much time did you have to shop or just hang out?

One last thing. Is Victors house nearby? We would like to see the monkeys, but don't want to spend our day driving to it.

We got off the ship and walked a short distance (across the street) to Victor. He summoned Tex, who led us a little way to his van (very nice, clean, and fairly new). Tex parked a couple of blocks from Victor's stand so that he could get out of the traffic more easily. The port area is prety crowded.

We went right to the zipline and were there early enough that we beat the majority of the crowd. (Don't give an expensive camers to your zip guide to take your picture. You will get pics of people you don't know and you may get back a broken camera...we did.)

From there, we went to Coxen Hole to a small boat for snorkeling. We went to a really great spot on the reef and had lots of time to swim around there, rather than spending our time and energy swimming out to the reef.

After that, we ate lunch and then wandered around Coxen Hole. We had at least a couple of hours to eat and shop. On the way back to the ship, we stopped at the cameo factory and I bought a very nice cameo. We were back at the ship by about 4 PM, in time for a shower and a nap before dinner.

We did not go to Victor's house or the iguana farm as they were too far away. We decided we had done enough for one day. It was a great tour! We highly recommend it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

We'll be stopping in Roatan in August, and since it's getting close, I emailed southshore for info. I had been under the impression from another website (not southshore's- victor bodden's, i think), that South Shore cost $45, and they'd pick you up at the pier. Here's the response I got:

We charge $65 dollars per person including roundtrip

transport from pier, the zip-line tour, and a stop at

West ENd beach and tourist village where you can swim,

shop,or eat and drink for few hours depending on

ship's port time.

Not that big of a difference, considering I don't know how much a cab to the beach, and then back to the pier would cost us. But I was suprised, because I thought you CC'ers knew everything, and I'd never heard that before. We'll still probably end up doing it, but the extra $40 hurts a bit.

Just thought I'd pass the info along....;)

• 2 months later...
Hey all,

We'll be stopping in Roatan in August, and since it's getting close, I emailed southshore for info. I had been under the impression from another website (not southshore's- victor bodden's, i think), that South Shore cost $45, and they'd pick you up at the pier. Here's the response I got:

We charge $65 dollars per person including roundtrip

transport from pier, the zip-line tour, and a stop at

West ENd beach and tourist village where you can swim,

shop,or eat and drink for few hours depending on

ship's port time.

Not that big of a difference, considering I don't know how much a cab to the beach, and then back to the pier would cost us. But I was suprised, because I thought you CC'ers knew everything, and I'd never heard that before. We'll still probably end up doing it, but the extra $40 hurts a bit.

Just thought I'd pass the info along....;)

South Shore is $45 PP, the extra $20 is for the RT transportation.

Haha, this is a popular topic today. I just asked if the $65 was worth it for the transportation being included on the other thread. Is it or can you do it cheaper getting your own taxi, if you wanted to stop at West Bay Beach as well.

Archived