Question on Baggage

We have a group going on the PG Aug 21st and I am getting conflicting information on Baggage allowed. We are coming from all over the US, meeting in LA and then to Tahiti. Some things I've read say 50lbs per person, others say 2 bags at 50lbs each - help?

It is 50 lbs per bag, and you are allowed 2 bags per person. You may also have 1 carry on per person not over 20 lbs, (I think).
When they changed the weight to 50lbs we changed our way of packing.
We now each take a 25 inch suitcase plus a matching satchel which we check, then we take another satchel as a carry on.
Reason is that the satchel fits over the suitcase handle so when you are walking with your luggage you only have one to pull. Sure makes it a lot easier getting around.
We also realize that if you are taking more than that for a 7 /10 day cruise you are taking to much anyway.
Nothing wrong with wearing something more than once when on vacation. Everyone else is too.

[This message was edited by Jim B on 05-05-04 at 11:04 AM.]

The Air Tahiti Nui site says you can have two bags weighing 70 lbs each, doesn't it? Has that changed? Does another carrier limit you to 50 lb bags?

Even if the limit is 70lbs, Jim B's right. You don't need to bring much to Tahiti.

MarnaLou

That is not a typo.
ATN does allow 70 lbs but unless you can drive to LAX you will have a problem.
If I was lucky enough to go to Tahiti again on the Paul Gauguin I would take the following.
2 pair shorts (navy & tan)
2 pair of slacks (navy & tan)
2 swim trunks
4 T-shirts (one to use swimming sometimes)
4 Polo shirts
1 pair reef shoes
1 pair of casual shoes (burgundy)which I will be wearing on the plane.
1 pair sandels OR tennis shoes(which ever you prefer)NOT BOTH
My wife would take about the same only would include
3 sun dresses.
1 shawl.

PS
Shoes and swim trunks go in the check through satchel. Personal needs and a change of u---- go in carry on

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ATN does allow 70 lbs but unless you can drive to LAX you will have a problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I get the problem. I fly Southwest a lot and they allow 70lbs per bag. I did not realize other carriers were more restrictive.

MarnaLou

And remember, if you're doing a pre- or post-cruise stay on another island that requires a flight in a puddle-jumper, the small planes onlly allow 44 pounds luggage per person total, then the big surcharges kick in. Shouldn't really need that much for the Gauguin anyway. I hope. I start my packing ritual tonight... will be TRYING to get it all into one carryon. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] r-i-g-h-t...

Phil

upcoming:
Radisson Gauguin, 29 May and 11 Sept 2004
HAL Westerdam 13 & 20 Feb '05

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to help organize 12 ladies for this trip and they were upset at the possiblity of only 50lbs per person. Besides the cruise, we have a 3 day pre-cruise stay in Mo'orea at the Beachcomber. I agree that less is better but I didn't want to be the one to tell them they couldn't take 7 pairs of shoes, matching bags, etc. I think I'll wear my tennis shoes on the plane and take a pair of sandals.
Thanks again for the help

Critter,

My husband and I will also be boarding the PG on August 21st. Are you a group of friends or part of a company that is doing this cruise? We'll look for the ladies with lots of luggage and begin introductions! Actually, we'll be doing back to back on the PG. We'll also be boarding in the afternoon since we'll stay at the new Radisson Plaza in Tahiti the night before.

Kathy Z
We are a group of friends celebrating my mothers birthday. We are from all over the states and get together once or twice a year. I'm really excited about this cruise - I've been to different parts of the world but never to Tahiti. Have you and your husband been before? We should also board the PG in the afternoon. If you miss us boarding, I'm sure you'll see us flocking around somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
ATTN SuzCruise;
I brought this up closer to your post so it would be easier to find.

If you would like to use the furnished hair dryer in the bathroom instead of at the dressing table you may like to throw in a 12 foot extention cord.

• 1 year later...

Archived