NYC Port Call, Docking at Red Hook Experiences?

capriccio

We had a fabulous day in NYC yesterday. The weather was gorgeous and we walked about 1 1/2 miles (half hour) to the Carroll street station- half a mile to get out of the port, 2 blocks on a street thru an industrial area and then thru a neighborhood with kids going to school, crossing guards at every corner and lots of folks pushing baby strollers (a little baby boom in Brooklyn!). The neighborhood was lovely - tree lined street with big brownstones decorated for Halloween. We're so glad we followed your advice! Everyone we met was helpful - we just needed to look the least bit confused in a subway station and someone would offer to help us. After a long day we returned to the ship where our balcony had a spectacular view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The breath taking Sail away was the end of a memorable day.

Edit - darn auto correct. I know I wrote smeyer in the title!

We also enjoyed our day in NYC on 10/30. There is a bus stop right outside the port. We ran into the Liquor Store, bought a $5 Metro Card. Got on Bus B61 to the end of the line. Walked a little over a block and hoped on the A Train. Reversed the order on the way back.

Very easy. There was a group of about 10 of us that started the walk.

• 3 months later...
The Red Hook terminal is only a few years old. Its in a industrialized(although changing) area of Brooklyn. Its perfectly safe to walk around the area during the day. The subway stop is about 3/4 of a mile away from the terminal, actually not that much more than the subway is from the Manhattan cruise terminal. You do have to walk either over or under a major highway.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGu7

The water taxi is free on the weekends.

I use a local car service. Arecibo(7187836465) that will come pick you up at the pier and drop you off either at the subway or Manhattan for a reasonable fee(yes you in NY City its not inexpensive) the subway or bus at $2.50pp is inexpensive by any standard.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/arecibo-car-service-brooklyn-2

see http://www.mta.info

The closest subway stop technically is Smith and 9th Street on the F/G line but I would suggest using the Smith/Carroll Street stop its a better walk through a Brownstone neighbor....

I live in the area so ask away.

We sail from red hook in October , can you suggest a hotel for one night before our cruise or suggest hotels NOT to stay in. We arrive in JFK at 6.30 pm the night before our cruise. TIA

We sail from red hook in October , can you suggest a hotel for one night before our cruise or suggest hotels NOT to stay in. We arrive in JFK at 6.30 pm the night before our cruise. TIA

sure. I hate the hotels at JFK. there are so many hotels in the area at different price points. The Brooklyn Bridge Marriott or downtown Sheraton are fine full service hotels. the closest hotel is the Brooklyn Motor inn but while its safe its also isolated and I don't recommend it.There is the Nu hotel on the corner of Atlantic and Smith street that is eclectic and close to the port. The B61 bus stops in front of the hotel is you want a NY adventure to the port but I would use Arecibo, There are a lot of less expensive hotels along third and fourth avenues which are ok but I wouldn't stay there.