Marco Polo information please

worldfamoustravellers

I would appreciate opinions of this ship. I know the history but it's current performance with the new owners is what I'm after as I'm thinking of booking.

We have cruised with Fred Olsen and Voyages of Discovery and we like the smaller ships.

Food?, cabins?, staff?, service charges?, all information appreciated.

Done 3 with FO and I cruised amazon w MarcoPolo Jan-Feb 2011. annoyed at last minute change to itinerary to drop venezuela, but otherwise v friendly. Waiters not as good a Fred olsen eg you have to ask for mustard with beef, tartare with fish. Rusian entertainment staff shows better than FO. If you're in to keeping fit, all the aerobics yago, pilates etc classes were free. Food similar FO, cabins similar, staff all have good english, cruise director Richard is a star. You could opt out of service charge

I agree with everything AHORSHAM says. Not much difference in the 2 ships (we went on BrAEMAR). One of the things we preferred on Marco Polo, was that there was not that pesky piped musice everywhere as there is on the Braemar, it was a pleasure to sit in a nice lounge in peace and quiet!!

• 3 months later...

Just got back from our first Marco Polo trip. As very regular Fred Olsen cruisers (also QM2, Princess & Azamara), we were hugely disappointed. The ship is very tired, the food is mediocre and often cool, there was one urn of hot water for 850 pax for making tea (even at tea time), unless you went on deck in a gale and snow, staff were mainly East European and not friendly. We missed two stops because of bad weather (the ship doesn't sail well in heavy seas!), but I gather that's par for the course. No sight or sound of the senior crew to mention. No 'goodbyes, thank you for sailing with us' when we arrived back at Tilbury.

We felt that they were happy to fill the ship at fairly cheap fares, but weren't interested in anything else. Drinks were fairly cheap and we did enjoy the land tours. Many passengers were first timers. Others, who had cruised before, were NOT impressed. It was certainly a case of getting to the required destinations (Northern Norway), but having to endure the journey there. Can't wait to get back onto Fred Olsen in July!

Marco Polo is awful and they really aren't interested in improving, just filling the ship cheaply. Just come back and wouldn't go with them again for many, many reasons. Give me Fred Olsen any day - way better in every respect: staff, atmosphere, ships, food, comfort, etc. etc. Roll on July!

I too have cruised with Cunard, P&O, Azamara (and MSC) as well as Marco Polo (last October). Our exerience of Marco Polo was that it was not as good as Azamara (but it was about a third of the price) and it gave the other lines a good run for their money. Food was better than Cunard or P&O (but we are vegetarians) entertainment was excellent, staff were good, the ship had a homely feel about it. We are booked again for August and are looking forward to it.

Went to Amazon on Marco Polo. We have cruised three times with Voyages of Discovery and once with Fred Olsen. Marco Polo gives good value for money - well presented food, outstanding cruise director (Richard), most intelligent waiter we have ever had: not fussed about discreetly taken on board drinks. Disadvantages - some moaning passengers, noisy cabin, formal nights so passengers can dress up but no cocktail party. Would I go again? Probably not unless there was another exciting itinerary but much preferred to pretentiousness of Fred Olsen. My choice is Minerva with Swan Hellenic - but you get what you pay for!

Archived