JAMAICAN JERK COOKING EXPERIENCE In OCHO RIOS

dchoney

Has anyone recently gone on or heard about the experience on this excursion? It sounds like fun for someone who loves food! It is $79.99 per person and the last review is from March. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, reviews and opinions.

• 3 weeks later...
I decided to go for it and booked this excursion. I'll come back and write a review after my July Breeze cruise. I hope it's good :)

I'd love to hear about your experience on this one. We were considering it for our November cruise, but there's never much information on the boards about the culinary tours.

I decided to go for it and booked this excursion. I'll come back and write a review after my July Breeze cruise. I hope it's good :)

Can't wait to hear about your experience! Did you book through the ship or on your own?

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time on this excursion and the food was pretty tasty! There were a total of four of us, so I was concerned that it would be canceled. However, the small number was no problem and we really bonded while going through the experience together. Fun times! When we arrived, the spices and ingredients we would use were already pre-measured and ready for us. We prepared Jerk Chicken, Shrimp in Coconut Sauce, Steamed Callaloo, Banana Fritters, and Festival (similar to hush puppy in texture but sweet). They also included vegetable rice, two complimentary fruit punches and one bottle of 12 ounce water per person. Also, everyone received an apron, hat and cooking gloves.

We each started by seasoning our chicken breast and she put them on the grill. While they cooked, we prepared the rest of the meal. This experience was very interactive and we all participated fully in preparing the meal. Each of us had to add the ingredients to the pot as the instructor combined and stirred everything. We did however, make our own jerk sauce to ensure that it was at the spice level most comfortable for the individual. I didn't want my chicken to be too spicy but did have a little kick. :)

Was it worth $80.00 per person, not so much but it was something that we really wanted to do and am glad that we did it. While we didn’t actually cook the food ourselves, we did prepare everything for our instructor to cook for us to enjoy. It was so much fun and a learning experience at the same time.

The food was soooo delicious and the Estate was beautiful with outstanding views. Overall, I would recommend it to someone not so concerned with the cost but is a foodie or wants to learn how to cook the flavors of Jamaica. Once we finished, we all received a brochure with all of the recipes so that we could go home and repeat what we learned.

cooking1.jpg.c1252fd8f72216468cf85906d40e1480.jpg

cooking2.jpg.c857184e797608bac3ab8cba9f4a8c5d.jpg