deer island or stone island in Mazatlan?

maui07

While I have never been to deer island, we have been to Stone Island many times. Both with our kids and without! It is easy to get to on your own and lot's to do! There are a lot of venders but if you stay at certain places like El Velero, they will keep them away. This is a place where the locals go and it is where we always hang out! They can also set up horseback riding, atv's, etc...

Thanks for the reply. We have been to stone island about 6 years ago pre kids. were thinking about doing a tour there but think it would be more manageable and cheaper just doing it on our own. I just want a few lounge chairs/umbrella, some food and drink and a calm beach for my kids to play on. The tour would be about $90 for the 4 of us, I imagine much cheaper if we do it on our own. Any suggestions on places with great food and drinks.

Thanks for the reply. We have been to stone island about 6 years ago pre kids. were thinking about doing a tour there but think it would be more manageable and cheaper just doing it on our own. I just want a few lounge chairs/umbrella, some food and drink and a calm beach for my kids to play on. The tour would be about $90 for the 4 of us, I imagine much cheaper if we do it on our own. Any suggestions on places with great food and drinks.

I would never do a tour there (that's just me). El Velero is the very first place you hit before the big commercial tour place. The service is amazing and the owner is great! Estevan the waiter (older guy) will wait on you hand and foot. I always tip him well! He can set up any activities that you want to do (if any at all). Lety's and Victor's are also good. The thing about El Velero is the owner keeps the venders away. This is where the locals go and bring their kids to hang out.

Thank you! I don't really want to do a tour but figured it might be "easier" with small kids but I think we will just wing it. Thanks! Im not interested in any of the activities and such, just looking for some chairs/umbrellas/food and bev.

That is a very good description of Stone Island. Plus the short water taxi over and back (life vests are provided and required) is fun. We were there 2x last year.

Kids can play on the beach or in the water. You can grab some drinks and food (strongly recommend Lety's. Wonderful coconut shrimp, cold beer, clean restrooms, great service) and relax or join in.

I do suggest getting some insect repellant and applying it before you arrive and once again while there. No-See-Ums can be bad. We bought Deet wipes in the ship.

Cheers.