Good snorkeling? Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel

gzmtlock

My college-age kids want to snorkel on our cruise next month. Son is a diver, but is willing to snorkel instead so to be with his sister (who doesn't do scuba). Where are the best spots to snorkel?

We're on RCCL, Freedom of the Seas, if that's important.

Best place is Eden Rock on Grand Cayman. Easy shore dive and they have all gear you need. It's a 5 minute walk from the port. They also have lockers to rent and light snacks for sale.

Cozumel snorkeling can be done right off the port at the Hotel El Cid, just jump in and explore. Better snorkeling excursions can be had by booking an excursion either via RCI or using an outfit with good ratings on Trip Advisor.

Non-divers should get 30 minutes of instruction on the proper way to snorkel, which will really enhance to experience.

Costa Maya has beautiful waters. Snorkeling might be able to be done off the beach, which is a 6-8 minute taxi ride from port, or a 15-20 minute walk.

Freedom has dive instructors on board who sell snorkel gear and I think have a snorkel class in the morning on the first sea day.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned from a cruise stop at Cozumel. We love to snorkel and spent the day at Chankanaab Park. Easy entry snorkeling and the y also have diving as well. Palapas and chairs included in the admission price and lots of things to see and do there. Check out the Cozumel port forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cinbol

Best place is Eden Rock on Grand Cayman. Easy shore dive and they have all gear you need. It's a 5 minute walk from the port. They also have lockers to rent and light snacks for sale.

Cozumel snorkeling can be done right off the port at the Hotel El Cid, just jump in and explore. Better snorkeling excursions can be had by booking an excursion either via RCI or using an outfit with good ratings on Trip Advisor.

Non-divers should get 30 minutes of instruction on the proper way to snorkel, which will really enhance to experience.

Costa Maya has beautiful waters. Snorkeling might be able to be done off the beach, which is a 6-8 minute taxi ride from port, or a 15-20 minute walk.

Freedom has dive instructors on board who sell snorkel gear and I think have a snorkel class in the morning on the first sea day.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the info! Eden Rock is particularly intriguing, from a scheduling standpoint. We currently have day reservations at a hotel on 7-mile beach; the kids could easily snorkel, then come meet us at the hotel.

I'll send all your info to my son, and let him do more looking into things.

We just returned from a cruise stop at Cozumel. We love to snorkel and spent the day at Chankanaab Park. Easy entry snorkeling and the y also have diving as well. Palapas and chairs included in the admission price and lots of things to see and do there. Check out the Cozumel port forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will look into it, thanks for sharing your experience!

One more quick comment, you will want to check conditions before getting in the water. If it's really windy, or there is a strong current, novice snorkelers can get tired and possibly hurt on rocky shores. If you snorkel at Eden Rock, Sunset House, or any spot with a shop, the folks at the desk can advise you on conditions. I'd say conditions will be excellent most of the time. Enjoy!

One more quick comment, you will want to check conditions before getting in the water. If it's really windy, or there is a strong current, novice snorkelers can get tired and possibly hurt on rocky shores. If you snorkel at Eden Rock, Sunset House, or any spot with a shop, the folks at the desk can advise you on conditions. I'd say conditions will be excellent most of the time. Enjoy!

Good advice, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Grand cayman also has great snorkeling near stingray city and the deep stingray city (the original?) . We did a private boat trip and we did snorkeling and the deeper stingray city, so you can snorkel with them swimming all around you instead of standing in shallow water with them all around you. We saw tons of fish and a beautiful reef as well.

Cozumel had nice snorkeling too, but where we went the reef was deeper but still nice. Costa Maya was really shallow, we were at Nohoch Kay beach break and they had snorkeling gear so we just walked out (a little swimming ) to the reef and snorkeled. I'm sure there are even better spots but it was really nice too

Edited by crossfitmama