Travel insurance costs

Loulou9

Hi I wonder if anyone can help my partner, he has to re-new his travel insurance, as unfortunately it runs out during our cruise. The insurers (Age UK) have told him it will be £540 for just 12 nights and 13 days, we are amazed by this price compared to their travel policy for him last year which was £180 for a whole year! The only thing, health wise, he has different from last year is he has just had an MRI scan, and is awaiting the results ( this is to check a condition which he has had for the last 4 years). Does anyone know of any insurers who do not penalise you in this way. Ok we expect the cost to go up but this is crazy, any advise will be most welcome.

My wife and I (both 65) no medical conditions pay £40 pa for basic annual medical insurance for the pair of us with Insure and Go (arranged on line).

Obviously I'm not sure this would be applicable to your situation, but give them a try.

It's also worth looking at Martins Moneysaver for a strategy to obtain the most appropriate insurance for your individual circumstances at the best price.

Companies like Age Concern like to give the impression that they are working in the interests of their clientel. Not so! They're all working to maximise profits.

You never know how good insurance is until you claim, but it will certainly cover the big ticket items like repatriation and foreign hospitalisation even if they quibble about the relatively low cost items like cancellation or have a large excess.

Best of luck!

I agree with all the comments made by jokscot. My partner and I always buy annual insurance as we go away frequently. For quite a number of years we had had it from Direct Travel Insurance. When I went to renew it earlier this year I just didn't like the attitude of the agent and decided not to renew it.

Both my partner and self have pre existing conditions. It is a very long, boring process having to constantly repeat it all every time you want a quote, but it has to be done. We took our insurance out with Flexicover.

My brother in law found his premiums to be very expensive and got his from the Post Office. You just need to go through them all. I went through a long list I had found on Tripadvisor. Do make sure you include every pre existing condition, otherwise if you need to make a claim and haven't declared everything, it could be invalidated.

Get yourself a nice cup of tea/coffee and sit by the phone, expecting to be on it for a while. Good luck.