Advice on going to Altos De Chavon and La Cueva Da Las Maravillas in La Romana.

ZANEMOSELEY

We going to be in La Romana in about 2 weeks on a Carnival cruise from 9am to 4pm and would like to do the cave (La Cueva Da Las Maravillas) and the town Altos De Chavon. Should we just get a taxi at the taxi stand at the pier. What I'm not sure about is should we just get just try and get 3 separate taxis for each leg of the trip we need to go somewhere? I'm having a hard time finding out how far apart the 3 places are. I don't want to pay a taxi to wait on us if we don't have to but can if its necessary.

Altos de Chavon is a 10 minute taxi ride east of La Romana port.

The Caves are about 30 minutes west of the port if you go on the new motorway called the Autopista Coral (100 pesos toll fee each way ie. $US5 round trip toll fee). If the driver uses the old road then it's 45 minutes with no toll fee.

It would be best to use one taxi (minibus) for the whole trip and negotiate a good price with the driver before you set off. They don't usually charge much for waiting.

I would go to the caves first and then go to Altos where you can have lunch/drinks and get back to port easily. At Altos you should also easily be able to find another taxi to take you back to port if you wish.

Have fun!

Thanks for the great info! So we will plan to negotiate a taxi to take us to the cave and wait while we're there then drop us off at Chavon where we can take our time and get something to eat. Since you know the area what do you think a decent price would be for this?

How much more would you guess if they wait for us at Altos also and take us back to the pier? Thanks again.

Edited by ZANEMOSELEY

Thanks for the great info! So we will plan to negotiate a taxi to take us to the cave and wait while we're there then drop us off at Chavon where we can take our time and get something to eat. Since you know the area what do you think a decent price would be for this?

How much more would you guess if they wait for us at Altos also and take us back to the pier? Thanks again.

It depends on the number of people in your group. I would GUESS...

port to caves to Altos = $US75 per taxi (minibus) for 1-5 passengers. More than 5 passengers at $US12-15 pp.

port to caves to Altos to port = $US90 per taxi for 1-5 passengers. More than 5 passengers at $US12-15 pp.

It's not easy to find out what the port taxis are charging. I will open a new thread where cruise passengers can post what they paid for their trips.