Melbourne and Hobart or Bay of Islands, Picton and Wellington on Cruise

Denise&Paul STL

Trying to decide between 12 or 14 day cruise and that is the difference between the two besides flying into Sydney and out of Auckland, which is pricier, but may be worth it for the shorter cruise to see Melbourne and Hobart. The longer cruise stops at Bay of Islands, Wellington and Picton.

Would be grateful for any advice, thoughts, and comparisons.

Edited by Denise&Paul STL

Just finished a HAL cruise, Melbourne, Hobart, the Sounds, Dunedin, Wellington, Gisborn, Tauronga and finishing is Melbourne. Also done extensive land tours previously of both the North and South Islands.

It depends where you are from and whether you will be able to get back to New Zealand.

Loved visiting Melbourne and Hobart from the sea, been to both cities plenty of times but this was different. Both are easily accessible from the Ports, Melbourne having a tram into the city and you are right in the centre of things in Hobart.

Definitely do a cruise that includes Milford Sound, even though I have been there before, early morning in a cruise ship with mist all around, it was magical. Next stop Dunedin (Port Chalmers) did the Tairei Railyway, really enjoyable. Dunedin is also an interesting town with plenty to see. Then onto Akoroa, gorgeous place but you Tender in, if your cruise stops there I cannot speak highly enough of the Giant's House. If you are into gardens and art this place was gorgeous and quirky ($20 entry fee). Didn't go to Christchurch from Akoroa, been there before the Earthquake and felt it would be too upsetting.

We then went straight to Wellington, missing out on Picton. Having been there on our land trip I can tell you the Harbour in Picton is beautiful and there is plenty of lovely scenery around that area. Wellington is Wellington, a busy industrial Port, we walked into town (20 minutes) to help us digest breakfast :D Did the tram up to the top of the Botanic Gardens and walked down in the misty rain, really quite lovely. However better than this, but we had already done it previously, is the Te Papa Museum well worth a visit with extensive displays of Maori culture.

Next stop Napier, look round the Art Deco town, no need to do a tour. We then went to Gisborne, as we had been there before we knew it was not worth the long tender trip so stayed on the ship. Nothing against Gisborne but the town itself is just a town, albeit a nice one.

Then Tauronga which is the gateway to Rotorua (smelly), we did Hobbiton and loved it (not smelly) :)

Final stop Auckland, first time there surprisingly, loved it - we need to get back. Did a harbour cruise and climbed to the top of Mt Victoria, then flew home :(

Bay of Islands we have done by land, well worth going to. May I suggest a trip across the ferry to Russell or a boat trip to Hole in the Rock. We did both and thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

Which cruise to chose, well that is up to you and as I said whether you can get back to New Zealand. Not to miss is Milford Sound. But to my mind a longer cruise is always a better cruise ;)