What do you say about the French Riviera and Italian Riviera?

Millenia98

If you like it, hate it – tell me why. And I want to pair it with something. Was thinking Milan/Bologna. Or even Southern tip of Spain – Granada, Seville. Or Athens and a greek island we haven’t been (we’ve done Rhodes Santorini and Mykonos several times).

Disclaimer: It will be summer, I don't mind crowds.

It's a harder question than one would guess, and my answer probably won't help much. We have spent time in vicinity of Nice, along Ligurian coast and enjoyed both for many of the same reasons. Good so far. But it's the vacationing French-folk and Italians who are wonderful to be around, to observe and maybe interact with using rudimentary and maybe risky language skills. We avoid other tourists, particularly American tourists, like the plague: glamour and loud comparisons with other places visited or scheduled... these are not remotely part of our (digestible at any rate) beach fare. The good news is generally there is room there to seek out one's own enclave from which to enjoy. Our best-ever such was a random Sunday hike along the rugged and scenic coast south of Sestri Levante, trying to keep up with chattering 80 year olds clambering among the boulders and pines. Mediterranean surf very blue below. Not a single midwest accent to be found, no visible high-status clothing label, yet memorable in vivid color four years later! But that's just us, likely a minority.