Post Travel After Nice?

bogie113

I sure hope someone has some good Ideas here. We disembark in Nice on 9/16. We would like to spend up to a week traveling after that but can't figure out which direction to go. My DH has never been to Spain so I was thinking of taking a train back to Barcelona and visiting in a bit more depth, renting a car and motoring around Spain ending up in Madrid and flying home from there.

We don't have to go to Spain, just a thought. I would love to hear anyone's suggestions.

Thanks again,

Bogie

What a delicious quandry. Sounds like a lovely idea, especially if you get out of the big cities in Spain and enjoy the countryside. I would ask questions about the weather in September, see if it's expected to be very hot.

We had this conundrum recently, getting off Voyager in Dover. We flew back to Portugal for a week. It was lovely, and cheap by European standards. We also enjoyed the tidbits of northern spain that we saw, Gallicia, Cantabria. I'm sure you will do just fine, picking a place, and going for it. I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be wonderful.

Although Barcelona is one of my favorite cities (and I truly enjoy Spain overall), since you will be in Nice why not see what there is in the area?

Villefranche, Eze, St. Paul de Vence, Moughin, Cannes, Monte Carlo sounds like a great week to me. You will find that hotels outside of Nice, in for example, Moughin, have a bit of style, but are not ridiculously expensive.

If you go the Barcelona route, you will obviously have a great time...especially if you want to enjoy the late nightlife. Flying from Barcelona to Madrid is very easy. You can save a small fortune by flying Spanair rather than Iberia...and you can avoid Iberia's troublesome new terminal (though by that time, hopefully things will be worked out.)

The Nice area in itself is wonderful. Recently, before a cruise we stayed in Hotel Vista Palace in Roquebrune- St. Martin. It is a gorgeous small hotel outside of Monaco. One can go to all the usual tourist towns, or explore the small villages near the hotel, ie: Roquebrune, La Turbie. Mougin is about 10 minutes away and is a Cannes/ Nice type town, but much nicer and less crowded. Nice has a great old town and street market. This area is also very close to the Italian border and San Remo. There is always Monte Carlo too. Just about 15 minutes past Cannes is Grasse, the hub of perfume making. Further out ( about 2 hours away) is Provence, but that takes more than a day trip. Enjoy, whatever you decide to do!

Archived