American Queen Cruise 6/29

sacbrit

I have a lot to say about my recent cruise on this Great Paddle Steamer. I was so looking forward to it as was my travel companion, we booked an inside cabin on deck three, I checked before we left seeing that we were in 317 two decks above the Grand Saloon on deck 1. Not knowing exactly what went on in that venue, I was not alarmed, after all we were two decks above it. Unfortunately the Grand Saloon is two decks high so our cabin was directly above the stage.

The entertainment was extremely good and LOUD; so we watched the first show at 8 pm and then listened to it again at 10 pm. That would not have been so bad because we could read or watch TV until after the second show (early breakfasts before early tours are not conducive to late night partying) After the second show at 10:45 there is dancing, again to the "Syncopators" the very talented and LOUD band. I had ear plugs in and still didn't sleep until well after midnight. I did ask for a different location but was told there were no cabins available, apparently there was a plumbing disaster so those unfortunate folks were moved into the only spare cabins.

Our inside cabin was not cheap we paid $2134 for six nights, plus $14 a day for gratuities. I loved the experience but won't do it again.

The ship is very attractive and the "Front Porch" was great with free lattes, teas, cappachinos and sodas. The food was excellent and in most cases the serving sizes were more than adequate, one night I odered a Salmon and Flounder entree and was presented with what looked like an appetizer, I could have sent it back but there was plenty of food and the deserts were out of this world, so I saved room for more of those.

The wait staff were very considerate and Ryan out head waiter was obviously professionally trained. The breakfast and lunch buffets were very good, only one complaint, a Salmon En Croute that was raw. The server insisted it was rare, so I went over her head and a Chef came out and the dish was quickly whisked back into the kitchen.

The included tours were very good and I was intrigued by "the hop on and hop off" decorated bus. The paid tours are the good ones and somewhat over priced, the entrance fee for "Laura Plantation is $18 the tour costs $49. All of the Plantaion tours were excellent especially Oak Alley and Houmas House, well worth it.

The ship is not exactly spotless, the general housekeeping is somewhat sloppy, our cabin was the size of a large closet even though the bathroom was larger than any I have seen on a cruise ship. The insulation is so poor I could hear my neighbor brushing his teeth and flushing his toilet. There was a sticky spill on a table in the Grand Saloon that was there for at least two nights.

The Riverlorian was a very a knowledgeable and talented lady who was very entertaining; I wouold recommend any of her talks and guided tours.

The entertainment was some of the best I have heard or seen on any ship, had there been a dance host for the single ladies there would have been some effort made on our part to stay up to party. I would recommend that "The Company " put on the first show at 5pm before first dinner sitting and set the dinner time for 6pm then do one more show before the late seating and then dancing not so late or not at all.

Al in all I would say that if you picked a cabin not over the Grand Saloon and paid extra for a view of the river this would be a good cruise. Hopefully as the staff become more seasoned and less green the ship will be as good as it should be. One more warning, the Caliope playing on the Engineering deck is also very loud.

Archived