Is the tour to Hilo by Ricky's Tours a good one.

Gaelic-123

I was wondering if anyone had taken Rickys Tour to the Volcanoes in Hilo. We are on the Pride of America ship in November and want to know if we should book this tour or the one from NCL.

I hope so... we booked him for our cruise in September. I relied on what I had read here on CC and Trip Advisor. I'll be posting a detailed review upon our return.

As recommended,check out the reviews on trip advisor. They are one of the two I see most frequently recommended. The other is Mary Lou's. They both offer small group tours which to me is preferable over the big ship tours. Mary Lou's are custom tours, both Hillo and Kona. We have her booked for Hilo in August.

I mean is Rickys Tours to the Volcanoes in Hilo a good one or should I book with NCL to tour the Volcanoes.

We just went last month and used Ricky ! He's great !!!

The tour was $65 (+ tip) for all day. Ricky picked us up at the Pier in his small tour van.. seats about 10 people max. He took us to Rainbow Falls, several stops at Volcanoes National Park, Lua Manu lava flow, "Mauna Loa", got to walk through a short Lava tube......then a quick stop at an Orchid Museum, a Black Sand Beach, and finally ending at the Mauna Loa Macadamia nut farm/factory before getting us back to the Pier. He also provided us with bottles of water and chips for a snack

Ricky also went out of his way to re-route the tour if he noticed a Robert's & Polynesian Adventure tour bus there with 200 other tourists, he'd take us elsewhere and bring us back later. He has lived in Hilo a long time and knows the history so lots of anecdotes along the way. He under-prices his tour in my opinion.

You won't be sorry.

Edited by CactusFlower527
added some additional comments :)

Thank you for your replies on Ricky Tours. I am going to book them as it looks like they have a good tour and not many people in the van which is really good.

Yes do so quickly. He's an actual tour "business" - but he's a one-man show.. he doesn't have a fleet of vans and 'employees'... just him and his one van :D