Picutre vs movies question?

theump

When taking pictures with a camera and then taking movies with the same camera and lens (Cannon) does it use different mirros or something. Was at the Red Bull Air races and took plenty of pictures and a few movies. On the movies it looks like a few spots and a little line on the frames but on the pictures there isn't any spots or lines (line is a little croked like a string).

The Ump

John

There are no mirrors in the image path for stills or video and the same sensor is used for both. The video processor discards a lot of info in the Canon to get to the resolution of the movie (an HD movie frame is only about 2MP), so it may be a flaw in the processing of the video file.

Can you do a frame capture from one of the movies as an example?

Dave

I was doing something else and it popped into my head that it could be dirt on the sensor. If the video was stopping the lens way down automatically, the smaller aperture will make sensor dirt more visible. One way I test for a dirty sensor is to stop down to f/22 and shoot at a light featureless background to show dirty bits that don't appear at wider apertures.

Random thought...

Dave

Had trouble copying picture from Facebook to Cruise critic. Use to just click on the picture in faebook and then paste in cruise critic post but last night was only giving me the http address inside the imp but it never bacame a picture.

S

Dave,

I did set it to f/22 and took a picture of a blank white peice of paper and yes the marks are on htere. So it looks like need some service done to it. Is it best to take to camera shop to have this done?

The Ump

John

Had trouble copying picture from Facebook to Cruise critic. Use to just click on the picture in faebook and then paste in cruise critic post but last night was only giving me the http address inside the imp but it never bacame a picture.

S

Dave,

I did set it to f/22 and took a picture of a blank white peice of paper and yes the marks are on htere. So it looks like need some service done to it. Is it best to take to camera shop to have this done?

The Ump

John

I've been cleaning my own sensors for a long time. As long as you are careful and use the right equipment, it isn't really difficult.

I did a little info post on the subject a while ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907615

The main considerations are:

• Do I need it often enough to justify buying the equipment?

• Am I confident enough to do it?

Last time I checked, a camera shop charges about $40 for a general cleaning so weigh that into the equation. If you do go down the do it yourself path, I highly recommend the Arctic Butterfly brush and Giottos Rocket blower mentioned in the linked post.

Dave

Edited by pierces