Complete confusion on cab fares vs tours vs what to do

feirlin

Help! I have been reading and researching what to do in Roatan. I know I want to mostly spend time snorkeling but I would like to see a little of the island as well.

My budget is tight so me and a friend considered taking the minibus from Coxen hole to West End Village, poking around here and maybe snorkeling for a little while at Half Moon Bay beach (does it have free public access?) and then taking a water taxi to West Bay and finish the day with some snorkeling there.

However.. the more I read the more I cant get a good feel for how reliable the minibuses are especially if I want to get one back from West Bay area to the ship (we have a 3pm departure time).

So I looked at maybe a round trip taxi over to West End, but I've seen rates all over the place to the point where Im confused about what the straight rate is. I have seen people say $15 roundtrip per person. Ive seen $10 roundtrip total. I've seen some posts that say a couple dollars. Help!

If I am going to pay $15 roundtrip per person would it be best to just go ahead and book a $20 dollar per person tour with someone like Theris Dixon? See some of the island and get in the snorkeling. Or could I get a better rate at port that day? And is it true the taxi tours cant take you to Tabyana beach ?

I hate to be a bother..but reading all the posts has me more confused than ever. And the Roatan website a lot of people reference for taxi fares is confusing and has 2007 rates on it. Boden tours, well they seemed pricy for two people. Theres also the rent a car at the doc with best cars option for 45 for the day. (more confusion!)

Could someone help me figure out how I can spend an hour or two seeing a little bit of the island and the rest of the time on the beach for the best price out there? I would so appreciate any tips!

I'm sailing out on October 18 on the Carnival Glory. In Roatan on Oct 22.

Thanks!

Melissa

Archived