Playa Porto Mari to snorkel

tabprincess

Our ship is in port from 7am until 2pm. We really want to get over to Porto Mari to do some snorkeling, but are wondering if the port time will allow since this is a west side beach. We have never been to Curacao so are wondering if the traffic is bad. (We are thinking of renting a car) Also, the beach doesn't open until 9:30am, so that cuts into our time as well. From everything I've read about Porto Mari, it has great snorkeling. Does anyone have any experience with this area?? We are thinking of renting a car because I've read that the taxi's aren't always reliable and we don't have a lot of time. Of course, renting & returning a car will eat up some time too!!

I've never had any issues with a taxi. The drivers usually want to arrange round trip and usually don't charge until the return trip. They've always been there waiting.

Keep in mind the beach doesn't even open until 9:30 but you should have a good few hours there even though your time is short. You could also consider Cabana Beach which is more commercial but not as far. We really like Porto Mari and have enjoyed snorkeling there - been there three times. Photos are in with our cruise photos from March of 2008, 2010 and 2011 - see link in my signature below.

Edited by Lsimon

• 3 weeks later...

You are right Porto Marie does not open until 9 and it is a locked gate but cas Abou just down the road opens at 8 am - if you are just going to a beach get a taxi - if you want to see more of this beautiful island rent a car, take a private tour get and see our beauty

We rented a van from Avis. It was about a 30 minute drive. No traffic coming or going. Just verify with Avis return procedures. They were not there when we returned our car and had to leave it there with the keys inside. It was also a stick-FYI. I was nervous about that until they finally returned my email that the van had been checked back in properly. Also, when you refill the gas tank, you pay at the little building BEFORE proceeding to gas pumps! :D

I didn't snorkel but the kids did and loved it. You will need water shoes. We LOVED this location. Great food/drinks too..