Public Transportation to Brevard Zoo

PurrSusan

We will be docking at Port Canaveral on a cruise this Spring. My husband & I would like to go to Brevard Zoo for the day. The cruise line has an excursion to the zoo but our time would be limited & we prefer to go on our own. We really don't want to rent a car just to go to the zoo. I read about a public bus that goes within a mile of the zoo but I can't seem to find the information I need about it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.ridescat.com/interactive-system-map/

busses do stop in the south side of the port . . . route 9

you need to use route 4 to get from route 9 to route 1 (or 7) to get to the zoo at Wickam Road & Murrell which is where the zoo entr' is; the zoo is still a ways away tho as it is set back about 1/3 mile from this point

This will take a considerable bit of time IMO .... the zoo is about 15 miles straight line from the port

here's a printable route map http://www.ridescat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/SCAT2015MASTERMAP_122415.pdf

I wouldn't try it ..... but I don't ride the bus.

I played a little ...

The web site does have a tool where you put in your start and finish and it gives you an answer .... I did a test run leaving the port at 10 AM

using this tool I got an estimated travel time of

10:47 AM - 1:17 PM (2 h 30 min)

I guess the 10:47 start is due to the bus schedule . . .

I've seen what the tour company charges

I'd reconsider renting the car .... it will almost certainly cost less but also open many more options for dinner etc

Edited by Capt_BJ

you are wise Obi Wan ...... in my opinion

Having a car allows you to quick visit other local spots

getting a Ron Jon branded something is almost a local law . .

the dinosaur museum on 520

hope you enjoy . . .

(I will not be around to drive you on the zoo train however as I've severed my relationship with the zoo)

Oh, I forgot the Dinosaur Store. I like that place. Yes, it is the law that one must visit Ron Jon's while in Cocoa Beach :rolleyes: You must also touch a tiki. Long Doggers is a local restaurant chain that is family friendly and price friendly. Another favorite activity of mine is walking over the Eau Gallie Bridge. It is about a mile each way, but we almost always see dolphins by the west side of the channel. If you have active kids you want to have run off some energy, it is a good thing to do. Also, if you like nature, there is the Rich Grissom Wetlands not too far from the zoo. You can walk it or, if it is not too muddy, drive it. I always see gators there and tons of birds. It is an easier walk then the bridge as you can always shorten it to meet your needs or wants. http://www.brevardcounty.us/NaturalResources/EnvironmentalResources/VieraWetlands

Cocoa Beach is my new hometown and I love it.

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can walk to the bus stop at George King Blvd & Flounder St from the pier where the ships (Royal C) dock? We want to go to theCocoa Beach area while at port in Port Canaveral. We'd rather not use the ship's shuttle.

Thanks for any info.

Nancy