Hiking or Kayaking in the Calanques

hbsunshine175

We will be stopped in Toulon on May 21 andI have been searching for the best way to either hike or kayak through the Calanques. In Rick Steve's book he recommended a kayak company, but the site is all in French and using google translate, I found the site to not give much in the way of actual information about time or duration of the tours.

My main concern is getting to either the kayak departure or hiking trail head for the Calanques. Can anyone help suggest best routes to do this? Our boat departs Toulon at 4pm, so we don't have all day. Thanks for any advice!

• 2 years later...
We will be stopped in Toulon on May 21 andI have been searching for the best way to either hike or kayak through the Calanques. In Rick Steve's book he recommended a kayak company, but the site is all in French and using google translate, I found the site to not give much in the way of actual information about time or duration of the tours.

My main concern is getting to either the kayak departure or hiking trail head for the Calanques. Can anyone help suggest best routes to do this? Our boat departs Toulon at 4pm, so we don't have all day. Thanks for any advice!

Hi Hbsunshine,

I was wondering if you ever found a kayaking company while in Toulon? We are going this June and having the hardest time ourselves.

Thanks so much!

Toulon is not that close to the calanques. The nearest ones are to the west of La Ciotat, already half an hour's drive, but the most spectacular ones are to the west of Cassis. You'll need to look very carefully at timing if you plan to do this during a day's stopover. More about the calanques from Marseile to La Ciotat and how to get to them: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/other-places/sights-and-attractions/calanques

Toulon is not that close to the calanques. The nearest ones are to the west of La Ciotat, already half an hour's drive, but the most spectacular ones are to the west of Cassis. You'll need to look very carefully at timing if you plan to do this during a day's stopover. More about the calanques from Marseile to La Ciotat and how to get to them: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/other-places/sights-and-attractions/calanques

We dock at 7am and depart at 5pm, you don't think that this would be enough time? I am stunned at how challenging it is find something or get any responses. I actually had one kayak tour company respond yesterday, but yes, I still have to arrange for transportation to and from the port. I have reached out to a private driver/tour company...but yes, I am still waiting :) Thanks for the link and any other help you can think of.

We are using a private driver from Marseille to the Calanques hiking trails. It is a bit pricey, but the fastest way with a short time frame. Try tour.designer@provence-travel.com . Hope this helps.

Thanks so much! I sent out an inquiry email to them and we will see how they respond. I just heard back from another company and a driver from 7:30 to 4p who would take us touring around and to the kayaking destination (kayaking not incl) and back to the ship quoted me 510 euros for 5 ppl.

• 1 month later...

I will be attempting to do the same day trip in July & I too have posted on here requesting info or tips and haven't gotten much response. I was hoping to just catch the train to & from Toulon but now I'm wondering if the timing will work out. Please let me know if you get any good info!

Sent from the adventures of CJ&AUDREY