Fins and Flippers

navybaby1113

We're thinking about going to Fins and Flippers while we're in Roatan because it seems like the best deal for our money. I have a couple questions though.

1. It says it $20 for an all day pass. Does that mean we can take the taxi over to Fins and Flippers, spend some time over there, go back to the ship, and then go back to Fins and Flippers later? Or do we only get one admission and then when we go back to the ship we can't go back? We would love to be able to go back to the ship to have lunch since it's already paid for.

2. Is the snorkeling any good? That's the main reason we're wanting to go there. Any pictures would be great.

3. What else is there to do there?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

We were there last Wednesday. It is a beautiful small island right next to the cruise ship dock. A great day, lovely snorkeling and fresh water pool for swimming. The food was good and drinks reasonable. We all had a great day. Warning - use bug spray! We did not notice our bites until back on the ship.

no taxi, you take their shuttle boat. You are given a wristband after payment, and they will take you back and forth to their dock by the pier. The boat leaves the resort every 30 minutes. Here are some snorkeling pics and a pic of their boat, as well as a picture of the snorkeling pier. You walk to the end of the pier, then go down the ladder into the water, swim towards the red buoy (30 feet away), then follow the underwater "trail" (you will see the openings thru the coral). We only got one bite from the sand fleas, but we sprayed exposed areas with OFF bug spray. It is defintely a nice,quiet, laid back excursion. Food is affordable and delicious.

86270020.jpg.bd841bbfe23364b0b6215bcdc1b9328f.jpg

86270012.jpg.9f7e57b48c6794cad9b37f0899e2da95.jpg

86270027.jpg.c870f15e901a3d5572b5847b2430923e.jpg

CIMG2598.jpg.ab72bc454fe67809507e9e23200f33b4.jpg

86270007.jpg.9acbc6597ab20b7f1b3838c92376d7c9.jpg

no taxi, you take their shuttle boat. You are given a wristband after payment, and they will take you back and forth to their dock by the pier. The boat leaves the resort every 30 minutes. Here are some snorkeling pics and a pic of their boat, as well as a picture of the snorkeling pier. You walk to the end of the pier, then go down the ladder into the water, swim towards the red buoy (30 feet away), then follow the underwater "trail" (you will see the openings thru the coral). We only got one bite from the sand fleas, but we sprayed exposed areas with OFF bug spray. It is defintely a nice,quiet, laid back excursion. Food is affordable and delicious.

Those are beautiful photos! May I ask what type of camera you used for the underwater pics? TIA!

Fins and Flippers sounds great!

I used a cheap fujifilm disposable underwater camera, about $10 at Walmart. It has an elastic band to strap it to your wrist, but I hooked it to the snorkeling vest I rented. You can take it and have it developed at your local drugstore.

In addition, the link takes you to a short camcorder video of the shuttle from the pier to FinsnFlippers. Total trip time is about three minutes.

I used a cheap fujifilm disposable underwater camera, about $10 at Walmart. It has an elastic band to strap it to your wrist, but I hooked it to the snorkeling vest I rented. You can take it and have it developed at your local drugstore.

In addition, the link takes you to a short camcorder video of the shuttle from the pier to FinsnFlippers. Total trip time is about three minutes.

Hey that's great for a disposable!!!

I'll go look at the video now......thanks!

I used a vest while snorkeling there. The water is not very deep at the end of the dock and you can stand. My only concern was that the reef was very close to the surface in some spots and you had to navigate around them. I am not a great swimmer either, and had no problems.

Have fun!:)

We are heading to fins and flippers for our March 15th cruise. One question, do they take visa/mastercard for everything on the island....from the admission fee, the shops and the snack bar/resturant?

Yes, mostly. The only exception was the bar, which told me that if I wanted to use my Visa to purchased food/drinks then I would have to go inside and use their credit card machine. I just went ahead and paid cash - - not a big enough deal to me to make it worth the trouble to go back inside the main gift shop.

My husband and I aren't swimmers. do you think we could do the snorkling without any problem with a vest?

I was just there last week. My favorite snorkeling was at Fins and Flippers. Also went snorkeling in Cozumel and Belize.

Keep in mind that you will just sort of float because of the salt water. The vest isn't really needed unless you have having a problem, it isn't really needed to keep you at the surface.

In other words you don't need to be a good swimmer to snorkel. You can move very easily with fins on.

There is a guide out there to show you the "path" over the coral. But once you get out to the wall (not far) it's really awesome. Lots of coral, fans, different types of fish, etc.

I went out snorkeling twice and stayed out there about 45 minutes each time. Water was a bit cool, but very calm when we were there. It was suggested to go out earlier since the wind can pick up later int the day. Nice place too. Had the Funditos and some tacos that were good. Freshwater pool was nice to rinse off in and was warm.

Some will say the walk to the "shuttle boat" is scary. It is a poor area. But not too bad. Mostly lots of folks wanting to sell you on a tour. We just started saying Fins and Flippers and didn't have any issues. Maybe takes 2 minutes to walk.

I read before hand that they bring you back to the port so you don't do that walk on the way back. But we were dropped off at the same spot and walked back. No issues there as people were not trying to sell you on their tour and lots of other passengers headed back.

The have some animals out there, sort of a very mini zoo. It's really a lot of space and there is new construction going on that wasn't opened yet.

Bring bug spray. We did get some bites even with spray, but not too bad.

Really a very nice place to go especially if you like snorkeling at your own pace for as long as you want to be out there.

I rented a vest for $5, for me, it was worth the investment.The snorkeling area starts out at 3 feet deep, then progresses to the wall area were it drops to 30-50 feet. IF I didn't know how to swim, the vest would keep me from being concerned of the depth. We used Mastercard throughout the island, they took our bar/restaurant check back to the gift shop to run it thru the machine.

Fins and Flippers is so nice you will not want to waste time to go the ship for lunch. Food is priced very reasonable and drinks also (get the island special). We had such a great time there with the excellent snorkeling and nice pool you will be staying as long as you can- guaranteed !!!

John and Carol

Archived