Four Belize options; any comments or ideas?

Mississippian

We're trying to make plans for our Belize port call. I've got several ideas and would love any comments or advice. We tour on our own.

1. Take ferry to Caye Caulker, return, see tourist village.

2. Take ferry to San Pedro. Fly back. (We had a great vacation on San Pedro about nine years ago, so would love to see it again).

3. Rent vehicle. Drive to Belize zoo, then Prison Gift Shop in Hattieville, then take Boomtown Road to Northern Highway and on to Altun Ha.

4. Rent vehicle. Drive to Belize zoo, then on to Belmopan and San Ignacio. Tour one of the ruins, see other sights, then return to ship, stopping at Prison Gift Shop on the way.

Thanks for any insight any of you might have.

If it were me, I'd opt for #1 or #2.

#3 and #4 have significant risks of just running out of time, depending on how long your ship is in port. Remember there's tendering in Belize. First tenders typically depart about 20-minutes to 1/2 hour after arrival, so if the ship's schedule says arrival at 8AM, the first tender will probably reach the tender pier around 8:45AM. First tenders are typically reserved for certain classes of passengers and for ship sponsored excursions, so it could be after 9AM before you reach the tender pier.Last tenders are usually 1 hour before departure time, so if ship schedule says it'll depart at 5PM, last tender will be around 4PM. Plus I think you have to take a taxi to the airport to rent a car, so add another 40 minutes round trip to your day. Reduces your 8 hours to 5-5 1/2.

For #1 and #2, you do risk some possibility of running out of time if you miss the right ferries. But you will have some limited time to walk around Caye Caulker (which is fairly compact) or San Pedro's main drag. Lots of new shops and restos, you'll wish you had more time. You need to be very aware of flight schedules and probably need to reserve seats. Again remember than once you land in Belize City, its 20 minutes+ back to tender pier. You also need to be very aware of the time differences in Belize versus the ship you are on. It could be as much as 2 hours depending on the time of year. That means you might only have a hour in Caye Caulker, or les time in San Pedro. Research that very diligently before you schedule anything.

If it were me, I'd opt for #1 or #2.

#3 and #4 have significant risks of just running out of time, depending on how long your ship is in port. Remember there's tendering in Belize. First tenders typically depart about 20-minutes to 1/2 hour after arrival, so if the ship's schedule says arrival at 8AM, the first tender will probably reach the tender pier around 8:45AM. First tenders are typically reserved for certain classes of passengers and for ship sponsored excursions, so it could be after 9AM before you reach the tender pier.Last tenders are usually 1 hour before departure time, so if ship schedule says it'll depart at 5PM, last tender will be around 4PM. Plus I think you have to take a taxi to the airport to rent a car, so add another 40 minutes round trip to your day. Reduces your 8 hours to 5-5 1/2.

For #1 and #2, you do risk some possibility of running out of time if you miss the right ferries. But you will have some limited time to walk around Caye Caulker (which is fairly compact) or San Pedro's main drag. Lots of new shops and restos, you'll wish you had more time. You need to be very aware of flight schedules and probably need to reserve seats. Again remember than once you land in Belize City, its 20 minutes+ back to tender pier. You also need to be very aware of the time differences in Belize versus the ship you are on. It could be as much as 2 hours depending on the time of year. That means you might only have a hour in Caye Caulker, or les time in San Pedro. Research that very diligently before you schedule anything.

Hi Crewsweeper,

I think there's a car rental place not too far from the tender docking site. The Princess Emerald says it is in Belize from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., so I figure we have from about 9 a.m. to 3:30, maybe a bit more.

I've driven to the zoo and gift shop before (not on a cruise) and it's an easy drive. Maybe San Ignacio will have to wait, or perhaps we could base our decision on how early we get the car.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has driven to San Ignacio.

Hi Crewsweeper,

I think there's a car rental place not too far from the tender docking site. The Princess Emerald says it is in Belize from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., so I figure we have from about 9 a.m. to 3:30, maybe a bit more.

I've driven to the zoo and gift shop before (not on a cruise) and it's an easy drive. Maybe San Ignacio will have to wait, or perhaps we could base our decision on how early we get the car.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has driven to San Ignacio.

From all rental car listings I've seen. Budget and Crystal are up by the airport. There's another smaller agency there with a satellite office out the Western Highway, which may be your best bet. Assuming no construction, or delays along the Western Highway and through Belmopan, it's about an hour 45 minutes to San Ignacio then probably another 10-15 minutes to the ferry for Xunantunich. Best of luck to you. If you do this or other trip via renting a car, please let us know of your experience, good and bad.