Screws Spa and what else?

bohemian101

Hello, we will be visiting Dominica for the first time in March on the Pride. It looks like a beautiful island but due to a health condition which can make me short of breath/weak at times, I'm hesitant to try any of the tours that require hiking or swimming. We thought we might enjoy a relaxing afternoon at Screws Spa. Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of a cab from the port to Screws? (One of the threads mentioned 75.00 round trip but I thought that sounded incredibly expensive. :confused:)

Also can anyone recommend anything we can do either before or after the spa? Maybe something that is on the way to/from Screws that we could tie into our day?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I just saw another thread that said they negotiated a taxi price of 15pp which sounds much more reasonable...so ignore that part of my question. lol

Now if anyone can offer any suggestions for something else we may be able to see or do in conjunction with our visit to Screws, even if it's just a scenic overlook for some photos, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

You could also request to drive through the botanical gardens (in Roseau). I won't lie, I found it to be underwhelming, but our taxi driver drove through there for free on our way back from hiking. There are some cool plants and trees and it has that tree that fell on the bus, but it's truly just like a big, well-manicured park. Morne Bruce is close to the botanical gardens and is supposed to be a pretty view point. Honestly, I enjoyed the driving through the countryside to the trailhead for our hike more than driving through the botanical gardens. Our taxi driver pulled over several times for us at different viewpoints and showed us changes that had happened since the recent hurricane (we were there in October 2015). It was the most beautiful island I've personally ever seen. If you'd be happy driving around, I'd honestly recommend that and just suggest to your driver that you'd like to see scenic overlooks. I didn't think the roads were terrible; I feel like the roads on St. Thomas were more twisty than Dominica. Good luck! I think you'll love this island no matter what you do.

Thank you for your help. I think that's a great idea and probably exactly what we'll do.

I personally enjoy just driving around the islands and getting an overview of the scenery, people, towns, etc. We did something similar on our way back from Coki Beach in St. Thomas last trip. Our taxi driver asked if we were interested in doing some shopping and site seeing since we still had a few hours to kill, so for an extra $20.00, he gave us a nice tour of the town, stopped at a few scenic overlooks, showed us his daughter's school and even drove through his own neighborhood. We learned a lot about the daily life of the locals including how expensive the utilities are (which is really surprising), the foods, politics, and the economy. He even stopped by a few of the nicer shops in town and waited while we browsed. $20 bucks well spent!