Bermuda on Crutches

I'm not sure if this post is in the right place, so let me know if it isn't. My mom and I are sailing on Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda with a family friend in a couple of weeks. For Bermuda, our original plan was to take a bus to Elbow Beach, but my mom broke her foot a couple of weeks ago. She had surgery last week, and is on crutches right now. For the cruise, she may also use a knee scooter/walker. I'm trying to figure out our new plans for Bermuda. If she is on crutches, does anybody know if it would be possible for her to get onto one of Bermuda's public buses to go to Horseshoe Bay? If not, I was thinking we may just use RCCL's excursion to get to that beach, if she is able to get in that vehicle. Besides that, what are some other (preferably beach) options for somebody on crutches for Bermuda?

Thanks in advance!

-Anna

I'm not sure if this post is in the right place, so let me know if it isn't. My mom and I are sailing on Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda with a family friend in a couple of weeks. For Bermuda, our original plan was to take a bus to Elbow Beach, but my mom broke her foot a couple of weeks ago. She had surgery last week, and is on crutches right now. For the cruise, she may also use a knee scooter/walker. I'm trying to figure out our new plans for Bermuda. If she is on crutches, does anybody know if it would be possible for her to get onto one of Bermuda's public buses to go to Horseshoe Bay? If not, I was thinking we may just use RCCL's excursion to get to that beach, if she is able to get in that vehicle. Besides that, what are some other (preferably beach) options for somebody on crutches for Bermuda?

Thanks in advance!

-Anna

Bermuda Public Buses are not accessible meaning no accessible lift and or a hydraulic drop to level out the entrance. There are steps up into the buses. The same applies to any vehicle used for RCCL's excursions. Though the taxi's are all van's with at least a 1ft. step up , it might be the better option.

I've actually been to Bermuda and other than the ferries did not find it all that accessible friendly. Minimal curb cut-outs and not all stores /restaurants have a zero threshold entrance.

You may find this link helpful http://www.bermuda-online.org/BPHA.htm

Edited by xxoocruiser

DH is disabled and used a scooter during our visit exactly a year ago. I suggest taking a taxi tour. We needed an accessible cab as we didn't want to hassle with taking the scooter apart and booked it months in advance, but blue flag taxis are certified tour guides and were much less expensive than our accessible vehicle. You'd be able to take the crutches and knee walker with no problem in a taxi and easily see the island. If you search the Bermuda board you'll find a lot of info on taxi tours, along with the rates. We were docked in Hamilton and DH enjoyed watching the city from our lanai while I did a lot of walking around Hamilton. The ferries are fully accessible and the Dockyard is mostly accessible. It's a beautiful place so relax and enjoy it however works best for all of you.

Bermuda Public Buses are not accessible meaning no accessible lift and or a hydraulic drop to level out the entrance. There are steps up into the buses. The same applies to any vehicle used for RCCL's excursions. Though the taxi's are all van's with at least a 1ft. step up , it might be the better option.

I've actually been to Bermuda and other than the ferries did not find it all that accessible friendly. Minimal curb cut-outs and not all stores /restaurants have a zero threshold entrance.

You may find this link helpful http://www.bermuda-online.org/BPHA.htm

DH is disabled and used a scooter during our visit exactly a year ago. I suggest taking a taxi tour. We needed an accessible cab as we didn't want to hassle with taking the scooter apart and booked it months in advance, but blue flag taxis are certified tour guides and were much less expensive than our accessible vehicle. You'd be able to take the crutches and knee walker with no problem in a taxi and easily see the island. If you search the Bermuda board you'll find a lot of info on taxi tours, along with the rates. We were docked in Hamilton and DH enjoyed watching the city from our lanai while I did a lot of walking around Hamilton. The ferries are fully accessible and the Dockyard is mostly accessible. It's a beautiful place so relax and enjoy it however works best for all of you.

Thank you both so much! We'll look at getting a taxi to the beach, or maybe reconsider our beach plans altogether.