Scotter in the Rain

b7440

I am new to traveling with the use of a scotter. We are going on the NCL Pearl this summer out of Seattle. My question is can you use the Scotter when it rains? any help on using a scotter would be great. I do have an HC room so thatis taken cre of

I am new to traveling with the use of a scotter. We are going on the NCL Pearl this summer out of Seattle. My question is can you use the Scotter when it rains? any help on using a scotter would be great. I do have an HC room so thatis taken cre of

Mobility Scooters should never be driven in the rain or snow. Most models have a warning stating that affixed on the Tiller or somewhere on the scooter. It's also state that in the owners manual if you have one. Nor should it be driven through standing water or snow. Unlike a car , the electronics of a mobility scooter are fully exposed.

However there are always those unexpected times when you find youself you're out and about when the weather suddenly turns. Should this happen get out into an enclosed area ASAP. For this very reason I always carry the following :

• a plastic bag to completely cover the tiller which is the shaft with the handles and electronic controls. A large shower cap also works nicely.
  • a large garbage bag or a disposable rain poncho and duck tap to cover the battery .

The above is just a temporary solution and is not recommended for being in the rain for hours.

I live very near Seattle, and I always use my scooter, including when it rains. What you want to do is get a great big rain poncho--largest adult size you can find. Make sure you cover your tiller completely, and pull it over the back of your chair. If you do that, you'll keep the battery, engine and tiller dry. You can buy a good one from Bed, Bath and Beyond (or any grocery store in Seattle) for about $10.

Archived