Actual cost of Taxi from Progreso to Dzibilchaltun?

Hi all, we are cruising in June and Progreso is one of the stops.

I have been doing extensive research on the best way of getting a Taxi from Progreso to Dzibilchaltun, then Dzibilchaltun to Merida. My hope is to be able to affordably do our own tour without being on anybody else's schedule.

I am seeing a lot of posts on the internet that Taxis can be had for $10 USD one way, and also $60 round trip.

What is the *actual* cost today? I'm not interested in paying someone to hang around for a few hours while we visit the ruins, which is apparently what you get for the $60. My hope is to grab a Taxi in Progreso, drop us off at the ruins, then we just grab another one when we are ready to leave the ruins and head to Merida. Is this feasible, and are taxis easily had at the ruins?

I also saw that Uber is a thing in that area now too? Are they just as cheap/cheaper and safe to use in that area?

Thanks for the input!

• 9 months later...

Arjones852,

I am wondering if you were able to travel on your own from Progresso to Mérida and the ruins? We are wanting to do the same thing this summer and have the exact questions you had last year. Any help and advice regarding making our own arrangements would be very helpful!

Thank you!!!

ML

Hi Lucy,

We ended up forgoing any trips due to the crazy heat and bright sunshine. We would have been miserable out and about!!

Instead we did a little bit of shopping around Progreso (the free shuttles that run from the dock will drop you off in a crazy street shop area set up in a parking lot - be prepared!), haggled like crazy for some mexican hammocks and other trinkets, then hung out on the beach at Eladios. Free appetizers as long as you have a beer or two, REALLY good deal! It was enough for us to fill up on and be considered lunch. Here's an example of what you get at Eladios for free that comes with a $2 beer:

photo0jpg.jpg

Then we walked about 20 feet over to a few ladies that were setup for full body massages right on the beach for $10. Sold!

All in all, I think it was one of our more relaxing days on the trip which was needed, we had been pretty busy at all the other stops!

It may be hard to find a taxi that will just take you to Dzibilchaltun. If you go in the morning the driver will have a hard time finding a return fare. In the early afternoon (after you finish the tour and denote swim), there may not be many cabs hanging around for a return fare. If you want to do Dzibilchaltun and Merida, you may have to suck it up and pay to hire a cab or Uber for the day.

Thank you for this info! That sounds like a good suggestion! I found a tour group that will customize a tour for you including travel to Mérida, lunch, a little shopping and anstop at the ruins on the way back to port. Still waiting on a return email for the cost estimate for four. I’ll update you when they respond in case you may be interested in the future. This is my little family’s first cruise with my big family who went on a cruise last summer to Jamaica and loved it. So we’re all a little excited for excursions.

ML