Viking Forseti Noise Issue

wave18

On August 9th, we returned from a week aboard the Viking Forseti as it cruised through the Bordeaux region. In spite of the ship's lovely interiors, interesting excursions, pleasant passengers, and ambitious menus, there was one over-riding problem that will prevent us from ever booking on that ship again. I don't know how the other long-ships are structured, but on the Forseti, directly over the third deck containing our two-room suite was the observation deck. This deck is a lovely place to sit and watch the world go by. However, the deck contains a "walking path" which circles its perimeter. Throughout the week, other passengers on the third deck and myself had to deal with the noise of loud footsteps and even the occasional jogger(heavier footsteps) which echoed directly down into our stateroom. There were supposed to be restrictions as to hours and type of activity on the track but it was irrelevant because the sound was constantly transmitted throughout the day.

The issue was reported numerous times to the ships personnel and, while they were sympathetic, there was obviously no way to alleviate an issue resulting from inadequate sound insulation between the observation deck and third floor staterooms. It was ironic because the rest of the ship had wonderful soundproofing and we were never aware of noise other than from the top deck.

Please be forewarned that, if you choose to pay extra for a stateroom or suite on the third floor, you will no doubt experience the same problem. :(

I

WOW - the noise isn't a nice situation especially after spending the extra $$$ for the third deck!!! I think it's been mentioned before on these boards in regards to the longships! Glad out cabin is on the main deck!

We were also on that deck last year on the Rhinda and noted that the cabin was especially quiet - never heard our neighbors in any direction!!

But besides the noise - how was the cruise? Excursions? Ports? Bordeaux?

Any suggestions or recommendations you can offer to those who will be taking this cruise shortly?

Thanks much!!!

On August 9th, we returned from a week aboard the Viking Forseti as it cruised through the Bordeaux region. In spite of the ship's lovely interiors, interesting excursions, pleasant passengers, and ambitious menus, there was one over-riding problem that will prevent us from ever booking on that ship again. I don't know how the other long-ships are structured, but on the Forseti, directly over the third deck containing our two-room suite was the observation deck. This deck is a lovely place to sit and watch the world go by. However, the deck contains a "walking path" which circles its perimeter. Throughout the week, other passengers on the third deck and myself had to deal with the noise of loud footsteps and even the occasional jogger(heavier footsteps) which echoed directly down into our stateroom. There were supposed to be restrictions as to hours and type of activity on the track but it was irrelevant because the sound was constantly transmitted throughout the day.

The issue was reported numerous times to the ships personnel and, while they were sympathetic, there was obviously no way to alleviate an issue resulting from inadequate sound insulation between the observation deck and third floor staterooms. It was ironic because the rest of the ship had wonderful soundproofing and we were never aware of noise other than from the top deck.

Please be forewarned that, if you choose to pay extra for a stateroom or suite on the third floor, you will no doubt experience the same problem. :(

I

Dear wave18,

We appreciate your feedback and hope you will accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. Our Customer Relations team would like to speak with you about your cruise, and we kindly ask that you contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can put you in touch with them. You may also send an e-mail to that address if you simply wish to share additional feedback with us directly. Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises