Review for Disabled Passengers-RCCI FOS

eisco17

We sailed a couple of weeks ago on the 11/11/07 sailing to the Western Carribbean on the RCCI Freedom of the Seas. My husband can walk short distances with a four-prong cane, and only uses a wheelchair for trips to the doctors in NY. This was the first vacation we planned since he became disabed. I lost a lot of sleep worrying whether we would enjoy the vacation since we didn't know how easy it would be to get around the ship. We wanted to be prepared.

After much discussion, he decided to bring the lightweight/small-wheel WC we borrowed from a friend. We thought the regular sized WC might be too wide for the narrow hallways.

Our trips in the airports (Newark and Miami) were great - the airlines knew ahead of time we were coming and they did everything they could to get the best seats for us and boarded us early.

We had early boarding on the ship also. RCCI put us in a lounge area in the port with plush seating near the elevator we would take when check-in began. We were ushered ahead of the line for check in.

On the ship, we quickly realized we brought the wrong chair. My husband wanted to control the WC so he wouldn't bump into anyone. I immediately went to Guest Relations and asked if they had a regular sized chair, thinking that if they didn't have one for him, I could quickly call a rental service since we weren't sailing for several hours. I had to sign a release to pay $250 if it was damaged and they delivered it to our room within 2 hours. We had both chairs in the room the whole week, but only used RCCI's. Guest Relations made recommendations for each port concerning the WC. Labadee Haiti had sand-WC's waiting for passengers, so we did not take one off the ship. The other ports, we were allowed to take RCCI's WC off and on - no problem. If we were tendered, the staff folded it and loaded it on the boat for us.

We used it every where we went - the ship is so huge, that to be without it, my husband would have tired very quickly. We stored it in the back of the shows and off to the side in the dining rooms, as my husband wanted to walk to his seat each time.

Everyone at the elevators were polite, held the doors going in and out, smiled and let us go first most of the time. Only once was someone rude by moving ahead of us, but they went ahead of everyone else waiting at the elevator also.

The staff was exceptional. If we wanted help, they were right there for us.

If you act like you know what you're doing with your chair and don't block traffic, they leave you alone or make paths for you.

We got to the shows before the lights went down, but since there was usually room for everyone anyway, we never lacked for a seat, even on the end of an aisle.

There were about 8-10 other passengers with WC's - some were mobilized, others were manual like ours. We were all welcomed every we went.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Hi - What cabin were you in? We are in 1328 which is a Junior suite on Deck 10 on the 2/10/08 sailing. Any helpful hints would be great. Do you have any pictures? I can't wait!!!

Thanks.

Nadine:)

Sorry for the delay in replying Nadine - I've been busy making up for the time I was away from work while on the cruise.

:)

We were in 8620 - a regular D2 (not handicapped) balcony cabin. It was sufficient since we folded the wheelchair at the door and my dh was able to hold onto furniture and walls in the room to get around.

Most of the tips I can think of are in my review, but here are a few more. If you have other specific questions, please ask.

In regards to traveling with a wheelchair, especially if it is your first vacation with one:

1. PLAN

2. Don't expect to be able to do everything such as the parades and most of the excursions.

3. Wherever there is a crowd, it is best to stay out of it. Coming out of a show was a little difficult, but just take your time.

4. Ask questions on this board

• 6 years later...

We booked a cruise departing 7th Dec 2014 on Rhapsody of The Seas (Royal Caribbean).

Then approx 7 weeks ago I had a stroke and now I am not able to walk without a wheelie walker/wheelchair.

I checked the RCCI website for an accessible cabin, 2 were showing as available, at an extra cost of just under $100. So I contacted RCCI to upgrade, they have quoted $2188 'ON TOP' of what we have already paid for our cabin. My booked cabin is i/side cat 'K' and the accessible ones are cat 'G1'.

I can't possibly afford the extra $2188 and it seems like discrimination to me charging more than the advertised website cost, any advice for anyone..... time is running out and I don't know what to do.

Jean

We booked a cruise departing 7th Dec 2014 on Rhapsody of The Seas (Royal Caribbean).

Then approx 7 weeks ago I had a stroke and now I am not able to walk without a wheelie walker/wheelchair.

I checked the RCCI website for an accessible cabin, 2 were showing as available, at an extra cost of just under $100. So I contacted RCCI to upgrade, they have quoted $2188 'ON TOP' of what we have already paid for our cabin. My booked cabin is i/side cat 'K' and the accessible ones are cat 'G1'.

I can't possibly afford the extra $2188 and it seems like discrimination to me charging more than the advertised website cost, any advice for anyone..... time is running out and I don't know what to do.

Jean

Cruise lines departing from a USA port are required to charge the same prices for accessible cabins and standard cabins in the same category. For example a category K accessible inside cabin and a category K standard cabin are to be the same cost.

Based on your post you the quote was for a non category K accessible cabin by having stated you were quoted for a G1 cabin so you would not be switching within the same category and could incur a price increase as a result. What I'm perplexed about is there are no G1 category accessible cabins on the FOS ? :confused: Here's the link to all the accessible cabins on the FOS to see for yourself. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_FR

Just did a mock booking on RCCL's website and at the moment there is one category L Accessible Cabin still open for booking on the cruise in question why wouldn't you consider this cabin ?

Not knowing what cabin category you were actually quoted since there are no Category G accessible cabins it's hard to give you any advice other than to suggest that you call RCCL back and speak to a different representative.

xxoocruiser -Cruise is on 'RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS' departing Sydney Australia 7th Dec 2014. My booking is for quad share, my daughter, 2 granddaughters and myself, i/side cat 'k' (deck 2)non accessible.

The Cat 'G1' accessible is also a quad share on deck 2 Ocean view. Maybe when you do your 'mock booking' on website it appears when u enter 2 adults + 2 ch (11years). Maybe try that and you will see G1

Edited by mundorock

xxoocruiser - Looked on accessible cabin list for Rhapsody and it shows 'G1' as cat 'F' but on mock booking comes up with 'G1'

The original booking was booked under a special offer BOHOGO promotion.

A similar promo is going at the moment making the cost almost the same as my original booking, but I think if I cancel my original booking and re-book I wont be able to get the current promo as I would have cancelled a cabin on same cruise. RCCI wont give you any promo deals if you cx and re-book same cruise, I think..... we have cruised with RCCI many times and we have 4 cruises booked with them over the next year.... I don't understand why they are discriminating in this way. The lack of compassion considering my circumstances is upsetting. I don't know what I can do about it.....

Edited by mundorock

xxoocruiser - Looked on accessible cabin list for Rhapsody and it shows 'G1' as cat 'F' but on mock booking comes up with 'G1'

The original booking was booked under a special offer BOHOGO promotion.

A similar promo is going at the moment making the cost almost the same as my original booking, but I think if I cancel my original booking and re-book I wont be able to get the current promo as I would have cancelled a cabin on same cruise. RCCI wont give you any promo deals if you cx and re-book same cruise, I think..... we have cruised with RCCI many times and we have 4 cruises booked with them over the next year.... I don't understand why they are discriminating in this way. The lack of compassion considering my circumstances is upsetting. I don't know what I can do about it.....

First I apologize for mistakenly using FOS information and not Raspsody of the Seas. Yes I see where the Rasphady does have a GI category accessible cabins.

You stated in your original post that you booked a category K inside standard cabin. You are now attempting to switch to a category G1 outside accessible cabin. This category change does result in RCCL recalculating the price because you are not moving within the same category.

Additionally if a you do a mock booking using 2 adults 2 children for both a standard non-accessible G1 cabin and an accessible G1 cabin you will see that the prices are identical. I just did a mocking booking for both before posting and the cost of a G1 standard non-accessible quad cabin and a G1 accessible quad cabin were identical .. $5136.76 including taxes and port fees. So how do you determine that RCCL is discriminating ?

It's unfortunate that you now need an accessible cabin but it's not discriminatory that RCCL does not upgrade you to a G1 outside accessible Quad at the same price you paid for a category K inside non-accessible quad because of your current circumstances. It would be discrimination if RCCL was charging more for a G1 accessible quad cabin than was being charged for a G1 standard non-accessible quad cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser