What to Expect at the Baths?

rubygigi

We will be in Tortola on the Sunshine in May. I have searched and this board and have a decent idea, but I would love if anyone could take the time to give me a step-by-step of what to expect at the Baths.

What I know so far: take taxi to Spanish Town, ferry to Virgin Gorda, taxi to Top of the Baths? Then there's a land trail down followed by a trail through the water/rocks? Then do you have to do the reverse to get back to the top? Is going through the rocks the only way to get there? In the photos I've seen, no one is carrying anything, so what do you do with your stuff? I feel like I'm missing a step or something!

We will have our two sons with us, so I want to know how much we will be able to see there if the trail through the water/rocks ends up not being possible for/with them. Is there a way to get to the actual beach and then go through and explore the rocks on your own? I read about some tour boats that were able to drop you off at the beach itself, but it seems like they have to drop off at the marina now?

Thanks to anyone who dares read all of these questions and answer them! This plan-ahead mom would be ever so grateful!

http://imgur-dot.com/2bwDIWQ.jpg

I drew a diagram to help you understand the layout.

Highlight and copy the above link, paste in your address bar, remove -dot

I still haven't figured out why this site doesn't like imgur pictures, sorry.

What I know so far: take taxi to Spanish Town, ferry to Virgin Gorda, taxi to Top of the Baths?

Yes - get to #1 - this is a 5min. taxi, very quick. #1 has a restaurant and the parking lot.

Then there's a land trail down followed by a trail through the water/rocks?

Yes - The first trail is from #1 to #2, you get to the 1st beach. Spend time here if you want, very nice beach.

Then do you have to do the reverse to get back to the top?

No, the trail with all the big rocks is from 2 to 3 to 4

As you can see by the satellite picture, 2 and 4 is beach like, while 3 is just rocks.

Is going through the rocks the only way to get there?

I'm not sure I understand this one

In the photos I've seen, no one is carrying anything, so what do you do with your stuff? I feel like I'm missing a step or something!

A lot of people call this an active day, not a beach day. We wanted to explorer the rocks a lot, and make it an active day, so we only packed a small side bag. Enough room for a small towel, 2 water bottles and sun screen for the beach - and yes it was perfect, I wouldn't of wanted a backpack, but that's because we explored the rocks for 2 hours (#3). You can do #3 in 15 min. or 2 hours, its up to you. If your in the middle, a backpack isn't the end of the world either, just means your carrying stuff around.

We will have our two sons with us, so I want to know how much we will be able to see there if the trail through the water/rocks ends up not being possible for/with them.

How old are they?

Is there a way to get to the actual beach and then go through and explore the rocks on your own?

Yes - In the baths, you have 2 beaches. Beach 2 and beach 4. Beach 4 is the nicest one. If you want to get to beach 4, go by path 5. You can also go to 3 and 2 from 4, but you'll be against traffic / people in 3 - and yes, later in the day that could be an issue in there (some tight passage ways), but with patience you'll make it through.

I read about some tour boats that were able to drop you off at the beach itself, but it seems like they have to drop off at the marina now?

We were there December 2013 and boats were anchored right off the shore.

Thanks to anyone who dares read all of these questions and answer them! This plan-ahead mom would be ever so grateful!

You are so like my mom, I had to reply ;)

Last but not least. Stuff, backpack. #2 has pay lockers. I forget how much or how big they are, but there in an awkward spot. If you put stuff there, go to 3, then 4, you'd have to come back by 3 or by 5, to 1, back down to 2 to get your stuff, then go to 1, and down by 5 to hit beach 4 again. Yes, its awful, hence why people say don't bring stuff. The best alternative in my opinion, would be to do #5 first to get to #4, park there with your stuff, then split up the group to take turns exploring #3 all the way to #2, then returning to #4 by the same way, or back up to 1, then 5 down to 4.

It's a big circle.

If I confused you even more, let me know. I draw this diagram pretty late :)

Edited by cruisinsteph

We will be in Tortola on the Sunshine in May. I have searched and this board and have a decent idea, but I would love if anyone could take the time to give me a step-by-step of what to expect at the Baths.

What I know so far: take taxi to Spanish Town, ferry to Virgin Gorda, taxi to Top of the Baths? Then there's a land trail down followed by a trail through the water/rocks? Then do you have to do the reverse to get back to the top? Is going through the rocks the only way to get there? In the photos I've seen, no one is carrying anything, so what do you do with your stuff? I feel like I'm missing a step or something!

We will have our two sons with us, so I want to know how much we will be able to see there if the trail through the water/rocks ends up not being possible for/with them. Is there a way to get to the actual beach and then go through and explore the rocks on your own? I read about some tour boats that were able to drop you off at the beach itself, but it seems like they have to drop off at the marina now?

Actually you will walk (or short taxi) to the ferry dock and ferry to the dock on Virgin Gorda. You will hook up with a taxi driver for the 15 min ride to the Top of the Baths where you will pay the entry fee and walk down the path. We would also walk or swim to Spring Bay since that is so close.

The drivers will return at the appropriate time to return you to Spanishtown for a little shopping and a lunch at the Baths & Turtle if you don't lunch at the Top of the Baths or the Mineshaft Cafe (more recommended for the panoramic views).

Small lockers for rent but you have to return to pick up your stuff so travel light and carry just a towel, camera, and water. Water shoes are recommended.

Will respond to your other questions shortly.

Blue Water - I could not get your link to open up ... and I wanted to see the map you had.

I have a question you might could answer - if I go on the ships excursion to the baths .... and it says in the details that you go over on a ferry and then a bus takes you to top of the baths....and then the bus picks you up...and all ...... why in several people's comments on the Carnival website excursion page would people say things like I had to swim back to the boat ... I know on a lot of the private excursions that you do go on a boat and they put you out in the water ... that was one of the main reasons I didn't want to do that .. I don't want to have to swim back to anything ... I commented on these post on the Carnival website .. but not sure if anyone will answer.

And also on Shoretrips.com they have an excursion called : Deluxe Tour of Virgin Gorda and the Baths Including Lunch ... and it is $67 but you have to pay for the ferry yourself which is $30 and then you have to pay to get in the baths which is $5. This is for 5 hours

And several people are doing an excursion with White Squall II - that trip costs $110 per adult and includes all you can drink, both soft and alcoholic beverages a great lunch and snorkel. This is all day

I am just trying to be sure that I have made the right decision with the one with the ship.

What I know so far: take taxi to Spanish Town, ferry to Virgin Gorda, taxi to Top of the Baths?

Yes - get to #1 - this is a 5min. taxi, very quick. #1 has a restaurant and the parking lot.

Yes - The first trail is from #1 to #2, you get to the 1st beach. Spend time here if you want, very nice beach.

As you can see by the satellite picture, 2 and 4 is beach like, while 3 is just rocks.

In the photos I've seen, no one is carrying anything, so what do you do with your stuff? I feel like I'm missing a step or something!

A lot of people call this an active day, not a beach day. We wanted to explorer the rocks a lot, and make it an active day, so we only packed a small side bag. Enough room for a small towel, 2 water bottles and sun screen for the beach - and yes it was perfect, I wouldn't of wanted a backpack, but that's because we explored the rocks for 2 hours (#3). You can do #3 in 15 min. or 2 hours, its up to you. If your in the middle, a backpack isn't the end of the world either, just means your carrying stuff around.

We will have our two sons with us, so I want to know how much we will be able to see there if the trail through the water/rocks ends up not being possible for/with them.

How old are they?

Is there a way to get to the actual beach and then go through and explore the rocks on your own?

Yes - In the baths, you have 2 beaches. Beach 2 and beach 4. Beach 4 is the nicest one. If you want to get to beach 4, go by path 5. You can also go to 3 and 2 from 4, but you'll be against traffic / people in 3 - and yes, later in the day that could be an issue in there (some tight passage ways), but with patience you'll make it through.

I read about some tour boats that were able to drop you off at the beach itself, but it seems like they have to drop off at the marina now?

Last but not least. Stuff, backpack. #2 has pay lockers. I forget how much or how big they are, but there in an awkward spot. If you put stuff there, go to 3, then 4, you'd have to come back by 3 or by 5, to 1, back down to 2 to get your stuff, then go to 1, and down by 5 to hit beach 4 again. Yes, its awful, hence why people say don't bring stuff. The best alternative in my opinion, would be to do #5 first to get to #4, park there with your stuff, then split up the group to take turns exploring #3 all the way to #2, then returning to #4 by the same way, or back up to 1, then 5 down to 4.

It's a big circle.

Thank you so so so so much for taking the time to do that! Our kids are 15 months and almost 3. It sounds like the best option is to go from 1 to 4 via the 5 path. ;) That way we can get to the nice beach, take turns exploring the rocks and not have to carry the kids through the water/rocks trail like we would to go from 2 to 4. One of us will carry the baby in a carrier on our backs and the other can walk with our almost 3 year old. We are active people and the kids are used to exploring with us on our trips, so hopefully we can handle it! Trying to get them up and over the rocks and through the water with all of our stuff didn't seem ideal. I was unaware of the 5 trail so I was thinking that the only way to get to Devil's Bay was via the rocks. Thank you again for explaining this. You are awesome! :)

Blue Water - I could not get your link to open up ... and I wanted to see the map you had.

I have a question you might could answer - if I go on the ships excursion to the baths .... and it says in the details that you go over on a ferry and then a bus takes you to top of the baths....and then the bus picks you up...and all ...... why in several people's comments on the Carnival website excursion page would people say things like I had to swim back to the boat ... I know on a lot of the private excursions that you do go on a boat and they put you out in the water ... that was one of the main reasons I didn't want to do that .. I don't want to have to swim back to anything ... I commented on these post on the Carnival website .. but not sure if anyone will answer.

And also on Shoretrips.com they have an excursion called : Deluxe Tour of Virgin Gorda and the Baths Including Lunch ... and it is $67 but you have to pay for the ferry yourself which is $30 and then you have to pay to get in the baths which is $5. This is for 5 hours

And several people are doing an excursion with White Squall II - that trip costs $110 per adult and includes all you can drink, both soft and alcoholic beverages a great lunch and snorkel. This is all day

I am just trying to be sure that I have made the right decision with the one with the ship.

There are a few options for getting to the Baths. The public ferry then open-air safari taxi to the top, Patouche or another catamaran and the taxi to the Top, or a smaller independent that drops you at the beach or takes you in by dingy. I would not consider the last option for you.

There is also an excursion that includes both the Baths and Marina Cay, Tortola which we would choose.

Sounds like you've chosen your itinerary, have a great day. Remember that if the Baths and beach are crowded, which is probable, Spring Bay is very close and offers a similar topography.

There are a few options for getting to the Baths. The public ferry then open-air safari taxi to the top, Patouche or another catamaran and the taxi to the Top, or a smaller independent that drops you at the beach or takes you in by dingy. I would not consider the last option for you.

There is also an excursion that includes both the Baths and Marina Cay, Tortola which we would choose.

Sounds like you've chosen your itinerary, have a great day. Remember that if the Baths and beach are crowded, which is probable, Spring Bay is very close and offers a similar topography.

What is the excursion that does the Baths & Marina Cay, Tortola? Because actually what we wanted to do when we got back from the Baths was get someone to take us to see the island of Tortola - so the one you are talking about may work for us.

sorry, the one I was thinking of is a Carnival excursion that requires a swim into shore at the Baths.

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/435028

If you have 9 - 10 hrs in port you could do the Baths followed by a short tour of Tortola, just look for a driver at the cruise dock (or ferry dock) that will give you a short tour. The drivers at the cruise dock have packages that are very inexpensive and you can see a lot in just 1 hour.

How old are they?

It's a big circle.

Hi CruisinSteph,

Your link doesn't seem to be working for the diagram. Can you try to upload again? Thank you.

You can expect to see a huge crowd at the Baths if a cruise ship is in port at Tortola, Virgin Gorda, or Jost Van Dyke. So I would recommend that you pay particular attention to when the cruise ship excursion(s) depart and try your best to avoid them.

For example, if you have enough time to spend 3 – 5 hrs on VG we would consider taking the earliest ferry to Spanishtown and grabbing one of the taxis loading up for the Baths and just tell the driver to drop us at the road to Spring Bay (SB). SB is a short walk from the Top of the Baths (point 1 in cruisinsteph’s link) or a short swim from the beach at the Baths (the beach at the end of trail 2). You can google a map view of the Baths and see that the topography at Spring Bay is somewhat similar to the Baths. The road is just as you approach the Top of the Baths Restaurant. Then head to the Baths as it clears out. By the time you get to Devil’s Bay (point 4) you should have had a more enjoyable experience.

Another stop could be beautiful Savannah Bay and have the driver return to take you to the Baths.

NOTE: You can work out a schedule with the driver to return to take you elsewhere at a set time and be on your own. The drivers are very accommodating and will work with you and the fares are very reasonable that way.

We like to save enough time to go to the Mineshaft Café for a nice lunch with a spectacular, panoramic view of the islands. And their signature drink, the Cave in, is excellent. “It’s all in the Juice, Mon!” If short on time the view from the Top of the Baths is great and they have lunch there.

Poorman’s Bar & Grill on the beach (at the end of trail 2) has refreshments and lockers, but you won’t want to go back there a second time so the key is to travel light and enjoy your freedom.

Have a great day on VG!

You can expect to see a huge crowd at the Baths if a cruise ship is in port at Tortola, Virgin Gorda, or Jost Van Dyke. So I would recommend that you pay particular attention to when the cruise ship excursion(s) depart and try your best to avoid them.

For example, if you have enough time to spend 3 – 5 hrs on VG we would consider taking the earliest ferry to Spanishtown and grabbing one of the taxis loading up for the Baths and just tell the driver to drop us at the road to Spring Bay (SB). SB is a short walk from the Top of the Baths (point 1 in cruisinsteph’s link) or a short swim from the beach at the Baths (the beach at the end of trail 2). You can google a map view of the Baths and see that the topography at Spring Bay is somewhat similar to the Baths. The road is just as you approach the Top of the Baths Restaurant. Then head to the Baths as it clears out. By the time you get to Devil’s Bay (point 4) you should have had a more enjoyable experience.

Another stop could be beautiful Savannah Bay and have the driver return to take you to the Baths.

NOTE: You can work out a schedule with the driver to return to take you elsewhere at a set time and be on your own. The drivers are very accommodating and will work with you and the fares are very reasonable that way.

We like to save enough time to go to the Mineshaft Café for a nice lunch with a spectacular, panoramic view of the islands. And their signature drink, the Cave in, is excellent. “It’s all in the Juice, Mon!” If short on time the view from the Top of the Baths is great and they have lunch there.

Poorman’s Bar & Grill on the beach (at the end of trail 2) has refreshments and lockers, but you won’t want to go back there a second time so the key is to travel light and enjoy your freedom.

Have a great day on VG!

Meant to add that being on the ship may not give you the flexibility to avoid the larger crowds at the Baths and that's ok. Just make the earliest ferry and you may still get there ahead of the main excursion because they will have a queue on the dock before heading to the ferry dock.

Ruby girl not sure if you've already left but happy cruising everyone!