train from Waremunde to Rostock help please

I read online that there is a train station at the cruise port that trVels from WRnemunde to Rostock every 15 minutes and the cost is 1.90 euro. Has anyone here taken this train? Can I use a credit card to purchase a ticket or do I need euros? Any help and I formation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Desdichado, I have answered this question on several threads and the info is on my web site but here it is again.

I read online that there is a train station at the cruise port that trVels from WRnemunde to Rostock every 15 minutes and the cost is 1.90 euro. Has anyone here taken this train? Can I use a credit card to purchase a ticket or do I need euros? Any help and I formation is greatly appreciated.

Just about everyone who has ever gone into Rostock from a cruise ship travelled on the train.

You can use a credit card in the ticket machine as long as it has a chip but it is much simpler to use cash. You will need cash for other things eg. restrooms, snacks, street stalls etc. so it is always as well to have a small amount of the local currency in any country.

The train goes to the main station then you need to catch a #5 or #6 tram into the city centre. The 1.90 euro ticket covers the whole journey, valid for both the train and the tram. Be sure to validate the ticket in the little orange box on the platform before you board the train. The fine for not doing so is 40 euros!

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Easier is to book ahead on http://www.bahn.de, which is the web site for train bookings in Germany.

German efficiency shows as they show the track number, the minutes to walk from one track to the other, etc.

However, entering commuter trains or buses with lots of luggage is not for the weak or faint hearted! Or pulling the luggage from the cruise terminal to the station.

Easier is to book ahead on www.bahn.de, which is the web site for train bookings in Germany.

German efficiency shows as they show the track number, the minutes to walk from one track to the other, etc.

However, entering commuter trains or buses with lots of luggage is not for the weak or faint hearted! Or pulling the luggage from the cruise terminal to the station.

The query was for information about the s-bahn train from Warnmünde to Rostock which cruise ship passengers use to get into the city for a day excursion. Booking ahead is not possible on the s-bahn !

If you wish to book ahead on a long distance train ( eg Berlin to Warnmünde ) the address for the web site in English is http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

All the information on my web site is taken from the DB web site but we have tried to simplify it for the benefit of cruisers, eg only quoting the trains which would be within the time the ships are in port and including instructions on how to navigate through the station in Rostock.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
Additional info

We were on Oceania's Nautical last September and took the train into Rostock. We bought the ticket by paying cash. After buying your ticket, it is important to validate it before boarding the train. The validation box is right outside next to the kiosk. Once we got to Rostock, we walked to old town. It was about one mile and we enjoyed seeing the houses and buildings along the way. Instead of taking the train back, we took the public ferry, which was docked right by our cruise ship. If you go to Rostock, do not miss visiting St. Mary's Church, which has an astronomical clock, very fascinating.

Instead of taking the train back, we took the public ferry, which was docked right by our cruise ship.

Please note the boat on which the OP returned to Warnemünde is not a public ferry and the Rostock public transport day ticket is not valid on this boat.

It is a privately owned pleasure boat which makes sightseeing trips between Warnemünde and Rostock and return. It does stop in Rostock and you can make the one-way journey if there is enough room but this is sometimes not possible as most of the passengers are German tourists staying in Warnemünde and do not get off in Rostock, they make the complete round trip to see the sights along the river.

The fare, one way, is 10euros and the last boat leaves Rostock at 3:30pm.

Anni