Ships' Masters

Parsman

As a very regular traveller on Fred. Olsen's cruise ships I was looking at their website and was slightly surprised when looking at the "Ships Captains" section. There seems to have been an enormous change in personnel. Is Captain Olav Sovdnes, the star turn of so many long cruises no longer with the company? It would be interesting to find out. Anyone got any ideas?:confused:

As a very regular traveller on Fred. Olsen's cruise ships I was looking at their website and was slightly surprised when looking at the "Ships Captains" section. There seems to have been an enormous change in personnel. Is Captain Olav Sovdnes, the star turn of so many long cruises no longer with the company? It would be interesting to find out. Anyone got any ideas?:confused:

Can't answer your question, but is Captain Sovdnes the man I remember from our Caribbean trip on Boudicca in Jan 2010? He was bearded, had a great sense of humour with the daily broadcasts and played a mean trumpet when given the opportunity.

wft

No, he was the one who gave the incredible star-gazing sessions on the top deck of "Balmoral" crossing the Pacific and last year was master for part of the South America cruise.

I know the one you mentioned and he, too, was quite a character. He is not on the list either - I can't remember his name unfortunately.

No, he was the one who gave the incredible star-gazing sessions on the top deck of "Balmoral" crossing the Pacific and last year was master for part of the South America cruise.

I know the one you mentioned and he, too, was quite a character. He is not on the list either - I can't remember his name unfortunately.

Thanks. I remember that Captain - he did the stargazing bit on Balmoral coming back to the UK from Cape Town at the end of the World Tour in April 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

Capt Olav is a FB friend - and sadly he no longer works for Fred :(

He seems to be having a great time in his adopted country of Austria and frequently posts his beautiful photographs of the Tyrol where he lives.

DK why he left other than he was getting to an age when many of us think of retiring if we can - I know he didn't look it - but he was past his mid 50s!

Another of my favourites was Johan Dyrnes - he works for Sea Dreams and has a Thai restaurant in his hometown in Norway. He was great fun too.

The present bunch of captains are a good lot though - and I suppose it is their seamanship rather than their entertainment value that it important - but I do rather miss all the fun :p

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Parsman, you may find that many have left, earlier this year apparently three captains left within a month! The wonderful Trumpet playing Thommesen now works for a competitor. Seemingly Fred. has a very high turnover in marine management for some reason and has had for several years?

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that Captain Thommessen is working for a competitor - a different cruise operator albeit in the German market. That would means that Captain Thommessen would have to be multi-lingual as he will have to speak to the passengers in German!

I have just noted that Fred. have a another captain added on their Captain's listing, Captain Aage Dannielsen. Captain Dannielsen worked previously for Fred. on Black Watch and Braemar before moving on about 5/6 years ago.

Archived