Tahiti Intercontinental Precruise stay

jon462

I'm wondering withe the flights PG puts you on from LAX whether the 2 day preday package at the Tahiti IC will be wasted in terms of when I would land, though I guess I would get one full day before the day of departure.

Also if anyone can comment on whether doing pre or post cruise is more enjoyable (if there is any difference) let me know

Definitely a pre-cruise--you get onto the ship rested and already in rhythm with the islands.

Yes, if you arrive late, your two days will really be a day and a half, and you'll get to bed late that first night. But you will have one clear day, and the next morning to have a great time.

Up until our recent PG cruise, we'd always done our land stays post-cruise. This time, due to flights and dates we decided to do a 3-day pre-cruise and we're glad we did, for a number of reasons. The long travel time is truly exhausting, and you need to relax and recuperate. That can best be done at a resort, rather than sleeping and frittering your time away when aboard a ship like the PG, where you want to make the most of each and every day!

We too are doing a two day stay prior to our Apr24 cruise. We've narrowed out choice down to the Radisson or Le Meridien. What time do they allow you to board?

Interested to hear how the new owners handle embarkation--it was always pretty strict previously. 3 p.m. or thereabouts, but you can definitely drop your bags and stroll around town.

Maybe they will think we are mechanics like they did Scandun and her husband were, and we can sneak aboard even earlier. :) :)

I'm figuring they will give us a more realistic time when we drop bags. I'll try to remember to post here with the time when I write about the trip after we return.

Maybe they will think we are mechanics like they did Scandun and her husband were, and we can sneak aboard even earlier. :) :)

I'm figuring they will give us a more realistic time when we drop bags. I'll try to remember to post here with the time when I write about the trip after we return.

My husband ??!! I am still single, and I was with my parents.

We dropped the bags in the morning ( between 8 and 8:30 am ) at the pier, and went to the information centre where a tour around Tahiti nui was arranged for 4 hours. We were back about 1:30 pm and had lunch at the market, and were back to the ship 2:30 pm when we were allowed to board. And room was also ready, only luggage came a bit late. I was told we were among the first to board.

I wouldn't recommend Radisson for pre or post cruise stays. We just came back yesterday and we stayed there post cruise. It probably used to be a nice hotel, but now it has a little unkept feel to it. Room was big with a nice balcony and view but felt dusty, pool had little branches and other debris on the bottom. The beach is not a good swimming beach (strong currents) and there was garbage there . I heard from a fellow traveller that Intercontinental in Papeete, where she stayed post cruise was very nice and she also toured (beeing a travel agent) Bora-Bora Four Seasons and she thought that it was "out of this world" hotel and the best hotel in Tahiti, of course I'm sure it's also the priciest.

Funny, we were there (the Radisson) 15 months ago and it was in great shape. I have never been a fan of the Intercontinental, too plastic, might as well be in Hawaii. BTW, there are leaves in the pool because there are so many trees. But dust is a bad thing I admit. Keeping hotels tip-top in this climate is a constant struggle, they age quickly.

We have stayed at the Radisson the last three times for the day room post cruise. It was OK for a FP Resort each time but maybe it has gone down hill in the last two years. We always did a precruise on one of the other islands, Tikehau, Ta'haa, Bora Bora X2, and recommend that approach as you enjoy relaxing recovery from the flight and are not yet spoiled by the all inclusive, fullservice of the PG.

• 2 weeks later...

We are hoping for the best of both worlds by doing both pre and post stays on our cruise (first ever) in June. When we arrive in Papeete we are spending two nights in the very moderately priced Fare Suisse (around $150 US dollars per night last time I checked). It comes highly reviewed by Fodors, Frommers and the Lonely Planet. We plan to spend one day exploring the island of Tahiti and the next morning at the market in Papeete before embarking in the afternoon.

Our post stay is on Bora Bora--La Moana Intercontinental (we booked through Islands in the Sun, but I have since seen less expensive fares on Expedia and Orbitz. Their hotel on the motu looks truly spectacular, but we opted for the more Polynesian feel of La Moana and its closer location to main-island grocery stores and restaurants.

Archived