Will we have enough time to go both Uxmal and Merida

newmomtexas

I posted "Is Progreso worth the time?" and got lots of positive comments. After reading all the reviews and doing our homework, we decided to visit Uxmal and if possible, to have a brief tour of Merida.

Below is a list of the questions we have. We need your help.

(1) Will we have enough time (within 7 hours or so) to visit both Uxmal and Merida?

(2) Which way (buying ticket from the cruise line, buying ticket from a local traval agency on the port, or hiring a personal tour guild on the port) is the best way to tour around? Any recommdation on the tour agency?

Thank you very much

Having just been to Merida, I'd say skip it and go to Uxmal.

There wasn't that much to see (at least on our tour) except the church and main square, and there are women and children selling cheap souveniers all over the square - it's hard to get away from them. Other than that, our tour guide drove us by some big houses (OK, they were pretty), stopped for shopping (you can get the same stuff right off the pier) and drove us around a traffic circle or two for a couple monuments. That was it - Except for the unusual number of VW bugs (AKA punch buggies) in a variety of colors.

The Cathedral is ok for a new world cathedral, but it lacks in comparison to Europe. And I've seen more impressive churches elsewhere in Mexico (cozumels is smaller but nicer), so unless it's a life list thing, don't feel bad about skipping it. Plus, you can't take pictures if there is a Mass going on, and there are several each day.

I was dissapointed in our Merida tour, so by all means, spend your valuable time at the ruins.

As a long time resident of Merida, I must stand up and defend the city. You cannot see much of any place through a bus window and to call this offering a tour of Merida is most unfair, and I am being nice here. Note that I am not trashing the poster, I am trashing the so-called tour.

The problem is the time factor and ones expectations. Merida has a lot to see and some of it ¡s not readily available to digest, pablum style, in 5 minutes. There is traffic and congestion and I would suggest that to see Merida you need to get out and on foot and open your eyes, preferably with someone on the ground familiar with what to look for.

By all means do not try to bite off more than you can chew time-wise. If you want to see Merida, see Merida. If Uxmal, do that. But don't try to do both.

Happy planning! :)

Well said William, I have had the pleasure of visiting Merida a couple of dozen times by cruise ship and land trips. I see and experience something new every time I go down. Merida is a wonderful city that I am looking forward to calling home in counting down to 2 years and 3 months. Still house hunting, that as you will know can be rather tedious at times dealing with all the legal levels. But I am sure that before long that will all be worked out.

Like I said, I am not blasting the poster; his opinion is valid and it looks like he knows what he is talking about. I think it shameful to call the drivearound that is offered a 'tour'. Of course you have to take into consideration the target market here; but Merida (and the rest of the Yucatan) has much to see and experience if seen with enough time and guidance.

Hopefully you have spent some time here, living and being in Merida, so as not to get a rude shock once you have bought your home. I always recommend a long term (3 to 6 months) rental before committing. Merida is not for everyone!

Cheers! :)

If you want to see Merida, see Merida. If Uxmal, do that. But don't try to do both.

Ture, I'm debating whether go Merida or Uxmal. I want to explore them both but I know we won't have enough time. Do you think to choose DZ ruin and Merida a good alternative? Thanks!

Better than Uxmal yes, because of the time involved in getting Uxmal and back. Don't get me wrong, I love Uxmal; one of my favorite Mayan ruins sites.

What is it that YOU want to do? See the murals depicting the violent history of the Mayas and their Spanish conquerors in the State Govt Building? See the biggest or oldest cathedral in the Americas? See the carved Mayan stones built into the walls of yet another Catholic church two blocks from the main square? Do you want to have a fresh coconut sherbet on the plaza and people watch?

Or do you want to visit Uxmal and feel the magic of this ancient place? Climb ruins and look over the forest at the lush green flatness of the Yucatan? Try to imagine how complex and enlightened the city was while Europeans wallowed in the darkness of the middle ages!

Or do you just want to find cheap silver bracelets and colorful sombreros to hang on your rec room wall?

It's hard to tell you what to do without knowing your tastes and likes my dear!

What is it?

Archived