Just off the AOS 1/30

trbutler

Well we are back and at least it is not 20 degrees for our return. Overall, this was a great sailing. We arrived a day early and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, I was a little worried because I had read many different reviews. But it was clean and the beds were comfortable. They are doing a lot of construction in San Juan, but they were not working over the weekend. My biggest complaint is the elevators are way to small and the pool was cold and the hot tub was luke warm. Weather on Sunday was raining but we survived. Arrived at the ship around 1:30pm and was on by around 2pm. Fastest check in ever for us. We had a balcony cabin and had plenty of room. Many people have asked questions about balcony construction so here goes - no on the AOS you can't open up balconies to adjoining cabins (unless your bring a torch to go through the steel wall) and about 2 1/2 feet up it is steel then about a foot and half of glass to the railing. We set sail a little early about 9:30 instead of 10pm. Also the second seating for only the first night is 9 instead of 8:30 due to the muster drill.

Sea. Enjoyed the sun - didn't have much of a problem finding a chair. Chairs opened up pretty regularly. Had lunch in the cafe promenade - was very good.

Day 3 - Aruba - Rented Jeeps with 3 other couples and had a BLAST. Got rained on 3 times (which is rare for Aruba), but other than that the weather was GREAT. We went to the lighthouse, chapel, natural bridge, other jeep got stuck in the sand and they had to get out and push, drove through the natural park and never made it down to the natural pool (people were getting flat tires going down there), got misplaced in the natural park and made own roads, and stopped at one of the caves. Returned back to the ship around 5:30 and had a very late lunch in the Windjammer. The only damper to this day was we were sailing with 69 others people and one of the ladies passed away in Aruba so as the group coordinator I had some responsibilities. Cruise staff at guest relations was wonderful, they helped with all procedures and getting her granddaughter home from the trip. They even allowed her to make as many phone calls, as she wished home to friends and family. Offered her a new cabin to spend the night in and everything.

Day 4 - Curacao - least Favorite Island, buildings were pretty but other than that not much in my opinion. We only spent a few hours off the ship, the rest we just relaxed on board. Ate lunch at Johnny Rockets - great food and sit inside for the entertainment.

Day 5 - At Sea - Went ice skating, was pretty windy and many chair hogs. Had to sit at the bow of the ship and use two chairs to be able to lie out.

Day 6 - St Maarten - Water was too rough so the water taxi was not running. Had to use land taxi was $3pp into town. Got off taxi walked to the beach and made a right and the first place was pirates in paradise. Got 2 nice chairs, umbrella, and 2 drinks for only $10. Also they had bucket of beers for $10 (6 beers). Rented a jet ski for $35 for half hour and had a blast. Enjoyed the beach for about 4 hours and then went shopping for liquor and Guavaberry. This was by far my favorite island - was very clean. Was a bit windy, but it was hot too.

Day 7 - St Thomas - We rented a van with 3 other couples - was fun, but if I didn't all over I would have just went with one of the tour drivers outside the ship. Maps they give your suck and road signage isn't that good. But we still had a good time. Weather was very nice.

Day 8 - Disembark - Went very easy, no problems. Check in at SJU was smooth - the worst part was the fact that the waiting areas are way to small. They had only about 60 seats - my group was 45 ppl. And we had a full plane. It was raining, but warm.

Service staff was great - our head waiter had a bit to be desired and his tip reflected it. Rick Spacey was the cruise director and he was great! Went to the ice show and it was very enjoyable - only saw one mistake and that can happen anywhere.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

trbutler - Glad you as as much fun on this cruise as we did. We saw your group all over....especially horse racing!

Very sorry for the woman & especially granddaughter in Aruba. We walked up on this situation when it had already become hopeless. All any of us can hope for is to die in a situation where we are truly happy. Certainly doesn't make the situation any less difficult for the young lady but I think passing away in Aruba with my grandkids ( if I'm lucky enough to have some someday) would be a pretty good way to go! :)

Archived