Hired driver review

Herb2relax

I wanted to write a review for the driver we hired in Progresso. We went thru Pedro Flores, pedropepchix@hotmail.com. But our driver was Manuel. We had a great time! I had told him what we were interested in. Which was seeing more of the authentic parts of the city. We were not disappointed. We went to a Mayan Yucateacan Market. It was locals who bring their products to market. Then saw a church that was built I believe he said in the 1700's. He drove us by some of the older city and showed us how some of their houses are built of sticks with straw roofs. We had chose to visit a cenote named San Ignacio. It was beautiful! When we arrived we were the only two there. We had the cenote to ourselves and that was awesome! No one there trying to sell anything to us. We tried to get Manuel to come swim with us. LOL He said it was winter and they do not swim in the winter. Then we went into Merida to eat. We told him we wanted to eat somewhere where all the locals eat. So he took us to a place that is like what we would call a hole in the wall. They served one thing it was pork, onions and with some type of flavoring. I know they said the name but I cannot recall it. It was served on something like french bread if you choose or small homemade corn tortillias. They were delicious! We had a great time and never saw another tourist the whole time we were with our driver. We were happy he spent the day with us. Like meeting someone new who was willing to share his knowledge of his country with us freely. Not just like a taxi driver driving us from point A to point B. If we are ever back in the area we are looking up Manuel.

I dont know if we picked a great tour or what. As people have posted on here about people begging for money. We never had anyone ask us for anything. If you are talking about the little shopping area you have to walk thru to get out of the port. It was the usual "come look see what we have." If you want to see some real begging go to Tijuana. From all the posts I read thats what I thought it was going to be like. Not even close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pork you tried is cooked with achiote also known as annatto seed paste which you can buy in the supermarkets here. Served on french rolls or in corn tortillas, it is cochinita pibil and is accompanied by pickled red onions and there is always chile habanero sauce on the side for those who enjoy a little heat!

Extremely typical snack/meal!!

I just emailed Pedro today to inquire about him taking us "around town". Hope to hear that he's available! I found his information in another post titled "Confused..." that really gave him some great reviews as well. We are wanting to go "off the beaten path" so to speak and really experience the culture and people. It seems like Pedro and his crew can deliver! Do you mind sharing costs and timing? Thanks!

Archived