Tasting and Gastronomy Tours in Merida

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has been on a tasting tour in Merida? I found this article on yucatantoday...Tasting and Gastronomy Tours...and am interested in something like this that seems be a bit different that the normal excursions. I have never been to the ruins so would like to visit DZ ruins. If I could find a way to fit a tasting, the ruins and some local culture into the schedule that would be perfect! Thanks for your suggestions and happy sailing!

Hello Conq, thanks for the heads up notification, or I wouldn't have seen this post, as I am currently on board the Elation. We port in progreso tomorrow, and we will head over to our house, drop some stuff off, check things over, then have lunch with friends. Probably take a walk, and then return to the ship

It does not appear to me you have time for the tours you referenced. The better sounding one is the larger tour, which starts at noon and goes for 4.5 hours. You'll need to be back on the ship by around 3p, so it won't work. You might could do the 9a shorter tour, which would end around noon, but it sounds only average to me. Also, these tours start in Merida, so you'll need to allow a good 40 minutes to get there. I don't think you'll have time for anything else such as ruins.

You may want to consider contacting Pedro Flores or adventures Mexico (sorry I don't have my contact info with me) just search for them, and have them put something together with a stop a dzib. plus a food tasting.

Have fun.

Good morning Terry&Mike,

I appreciate your opinion and suggestion. Actually, I ended up emailing Pedro yesterday after I read a few more praising reviews about him and "his crew". I've yet to hear back but hope he has time for us!

One of my sailmates also said that she had done one of these tastings before and it was so-so. Our first choice was the DZ, buffet, horse show through AutoProgreso but I read few bad reviews regarding the food and show so we decided to put that on the back burner.

That's when I decided to contact Pedro. At this point we are shooting for DZ ruins, some authentic local food and taking in the culture and people of Merida. Thanks again!

Why not do your own food tasting?

Pop into Eladios on the beach in Progreso and pick a nice table with a good view.

Then start ordering a round of beers. With that round, comes a selection of botana, or snacks, about 5 or 6 little plates of simple things to munch on. ORder another round and the snacks start getting better. You can sample a gazillion little things without ever ordering from the menu!

Cheers!

Why not do your own food tasting?

Pop into Eladios on the beach in Progreso and pick a nice table with a good view.

Then start ordering a round of beers. With that round, comes a selection of botana, or snacks, about 5 or 6 little plates of simple things to munch on. ORder another round and the snacks start getting better. You can sample a gazillion little things without ever ordering from the menu!

Cheers!

Hi William, Thanks for chiming in! I saw you recommend that on another post and thought about doing that but we're not big beer drinkers so by the second round we'd probably be done. Still...drinks with free food...always a good thing! :-)

You may want to consider contacting Pedro Flores or adventures Mexico (sorry I don't have my contact info with me) just search for them, and have them put something together with a stop a dzib. plus a food tasting.

Have fun.

Hey terry&mike, I mentioned earlier that I was in the process of contacting Pedro. Have emailed but no reply yet. But when I discussed it with my DH he was very uncomfortable with the arrangements. Also, after a bit of chatting with a friend she expressed her uneasiness with the situation and her DH as well. So, I will totally respect that and will find something more "mainstream" for us to do. I will leave the private tour for another trip with my DH. :-)

I've read some reviews on the "salsa & salsa" excursion and the "DZ, Buffet and Horse show" tour through Carnival but am also looking at the DZ combo thru AutoProgreso. So I'm gonna do a bit more research on those and choose.

Thanks for everyone's' suggestions and recommendations! That's what I love about CC!

I have heard good things about the salsa and salsa tour; not so much for the horse show. Buffets are not my thing, though so I might be biased.

What sort of tasting trip would you like to do?

Oh, Eladios will serve you up those botanas even if some of you are not beer drinkers and have only Cokes. Alternatively, you could order from the menu: lots of good Yucatecan options there as well.

Eladios! Nothing could be easier:

You take the free shuttle into Progreso, where you are deposited in a market set up in a parking lot. Walk through the market to the street on the other side and head towards the beach. Eladios is on your left. You can watch the suckers I mean other folks :D who actually paid to get into the Corona Beach Party below you! Lots of fun!!

Eladios! Nothing could be easier:

You take the free shuttle into Progreso, where you are deposited in a market set up in a parking lot. Walk through the market to the street on the other side and head towards the beach. Eladios is on your left. You can watch the suckers I mean other folks :D who actually paid to get into the Corona Beach Party below you! Lots of fun!!

I like this suggestion! I read some of your other posts as well, and I think we are going to try to get a massage at the bar spot you mentioned at Le Saint Bonnet. Any other recommendations for a good but cheap massage?

Archived