Tulum to Xel-ha on my own?

answersplease

I've read lots about doing the Tulum ruins while our ship is docked in Cozumel, but the ship offers an excursion that does both Tulum and Xel-ha. Does anybody know if Xel-ha is close enough to do both on my own? I'm considering renting a car, but don't want to spend the day either driving or riding in a bus ... I want to actually have time at the sites! I'm not a big fan of the ship-based excursions b/c I prefer the adventure and flexibility of doing it on my own ... but I'm with others and don't want to convince them to head out on our own without details!

We're will be in Cozumel from 7 a.m to 11 p.m. so seems like there's time. However, I'm waiting a little late to post this ... we're booked on RCI Splendor of the Seas on April 9th!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

I've read lots about doing the Tulum ruins while our ship is docked in Cozumel, but the ship offers an excursion that does both Tulum and Xel-ha. Does anybody know if Xel-ha is close enough to do both on my own? I'm considering renting a car, but don't want to spend the day either driving or riding in a bus ... I want to actually have time at the sites! I'm not a big fan of the ship-based excursions b/c I prefer the adventure and flexibility of doing it on my own ... but I'm with others and don't want to convince them to head out on our own without details!

We're will be in Cozumel from 7 a.m to 11 p.m. so seems like there's time. However, I'm waiting a little late to post this ... we're booked on RCI Splendor of the Seas on April 9th!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

With the logistics involved (tender/ferry from Cozumel to mainland and then getting to and from both sites), I suggest the ship's tour. The coach to Tulum took about 1 1/2 hours or so (including the obligatory bathroom break (read shopping). It was less coming back (no stop). If you want to swim, there is a beautiful beach at Tulum. Just check the timing of the tour and wear your swimsuit under your other clothes. If you do not want to combine Tulum and Xel-Ha, perhaps do Tulum alone and hit the beach in Cozumel on your own.

We did not do it, but I have heard some horror stories (on these boards and elsewhere) about renting a car (disreputable companies, insurance scams, fake Mexican cops, etc.). The last thing I want on vacation is an experience that might spoil the whole trip! I would avoid it, leave the driving to someone else, and just enjoy Cozumel.

With such a long stay in Cozumel, I would definitely do both Tulum and Xel Ha on your own. Personally I would just taxi from point to point, as opposed to a rental car. It probably works out to about the same money without the rental hassle and time. Be sure to hire a guide in Tulum, or at any ruins for that matter. It makes a world of difference. If you get to Cozumel at 7am you should be able to catch the 8am ferry to the mainland, then a taxi to Tulum, arriving by 9am. Spend a couple of hours there and spend the remainder of the day at Xel Ha. If you're going to Xel Ha, I would skip the beach swim at Tulum.

Enjoy!

Check out my review of Tulum on the Playa del Carmen board. I think the link was our day in Calica. We rented cars at the dock in Calica (we were docked there) and drove ourselves (40 min) to Tulum, had a great tour of the ruins then explored the little town of Tulum and found a nice beach to relax on. Truly an amazing day!!

We did Tulum and Xel-Ha on our own last year. We docked in Calica, so we did not have to ferry across. We took a taxi to the bus station and then a bus to Tulum. This was fine. However, when we left Tulum we asked about a bus to take us to Xel-Ha. We were assured the bus would take us there. However, what they didn't tell us was that the bus would stop on the road and we would have to walk at least a mile to the entrance of Xel-Ha. Needless to say, it was 90 plus degrees and this was not fun. By the time we got to the entrance, everyone decided "Forget it" and we got a taxi and went back to the ship. The taxi ride was quite an experience in itself. Tiny car driving very fast. Sometimes making his own lane. But I would definitely recommend a taxi over the busses if you decide to do this on your own. Good luck!

Archived