Spa Privileges in Cloud 9 spa balcony after upgrade?

elkie20000

We originally booked a cove balcony cabin on the Carnival Dream and when prices dropped on the Cloud 9 spa balcony cabin, we switched to that room. At the time the spa room was $100 cheaper than what we paid (regular balcony rooms were $400 cheaper) but the TA said we couldn't get an OBC even though we were early saver...only the upgrade. Is that typical?

I saw that someone posted on the Splendor that they upgraded to a spa cabin and did not get spa privileges. Has anyone had a similar situation and did you get the spa privileges?

I am going in three weeks. We originally booked 4E interior cabins. Then price drops happened... and it ended up being only $20 more to upgrade to spa interior. I did that. I did call them to see that if the prices of spa interior went down, could I apply for the OBC and still get spa privledges. I spoke to THREE supervisors and they all said that YES I would still get it, since I chose to upgrade myself, and not have Carnival do it.

I have ended up with the spa interior cabin, plus $180 OBC. I hope that I dont have any suprises when I check in!

Take care

From what I've heard, if Carnival upgrades you, you wouldn't get the spa privileges. But if you upgrade yourself, you should be fine. There are rates that lets Carnival pick your room for you. They assign a room at some point down the road, and if they assign a spa room, I guess those people wouldn't get the privileges.

I've been hearing some reports of that before: either the upgrade or the OBC, but not both. That is certainly not right. Early Saver is meant to protect you from things such as that. Nobody booking today should be able to get something that you cannot match to, as long as it's for the same sailing, same number of people, and you're not downgrading. But there's an easy way around it. Take the free upgrade, then send in the price protection form to match to the lower current price to get the $100 OBC. The TA would have to send it in, and they would surely see what you're doing, but if they want to stay in business, they'll do it. I like having control of my own bookings. I've gotten some great deals on a couple cruises that a TA wouldn't have been willing to do.

I am going in three weeks. We originally booked 4E interior cabins. Then price drops happened... and it ended up being only $20 more to upgrade to spa interior. I did that. I did call them to see that if the prices of spa interior went down, could I apply for the OBC and still get spa privledges. I spoke to THREE supervisors and they all said that YES I would still get it, since I chose to upgrade myself, and not have Carnival do it.

I have ended up with the spa interior cabin, plus $180 OBC. I hope that I dont have any suprises when I check in!

Take care

Strange how different carnival reps tell you different!

I upgraded from an 8B to an 8N,I was early saver on the 8B and paid for the upgrade to 8N,when i put a price drop claim in with Carnival against the 8N for OBC I was sent an email explaining I can only price match to my original 8B if the price dropped below what I originally paid for the 8B and could not claim against my new 8N?

Den

Strange how different carnival reps tell you different!

I upgraded from an 8B to an 8N,I was early saver on the 8B and paid for the upgrade to 8N,when i put a price drop claim in with Carnival against the 8N for OBC I was sent an email explaining I can only price match to my original 8B if the price dropped below what I originally paid for the 8B and could not claim against my new 8N?

Den

I think whomever told you that was incorrect. Everything I know about ES is that once you change categories, you have to price match to your new category. It does not make sense because to make you price match to your new category is more favorable for carnival, since you can only upgrade. If you were able to price match to your original lower category, the price generally would be less so you would get more OBC- which does not make sense.

From what I've heard, if Carnival upgrades you, you wouldn't get the spa privileges. But if you upgrade yourself, you should be fine. .

thats exactly the right answer. as long as YOU book the Spa deck and not upgraded through Carnival-- then you should get the amenities.

if the spa deck comes the way of a FREE upgrade then no you will not get the sp amenities

Thanks for your responses.

Our TA called Carnival and they said we do NOT have spa privileges because it was an upgrade since we originally booked the Cove Balcony. She asked to speak to a supervisor since that didn't seem right since we upgraded ourselves and it wasn't that Carnival was offering a free upgrade or automatically upgraded us. The supervisor confirmed that what they did was correct. We were not eligible for the OBC even though the spa balcony was cheaper than what we paid because we originally booked a cove balcony. You can either upgrade OR get an OBC if the price drops in your current category...not both. So, my guess is that if the spa cabin was even $1 more than what we paid originally and had to pay extra out of pocket when we upgraded then we probably would have gotten spa privileges. But, since we didn't pay extra to upgrade then it is considered a 'free upgrade' and we aren't eligible for spa privileges.

Oh well! I've never had spa privileges before so it isn't like I'll miss them. I was just very excited about trying them out.

I think whomever told you that was incorrect. Everything I know about ES is that once you change categories, you have to price match to your new category. It does not make sense because to make you price match to your new category is more favorable for carnival, since you can only upgrade. If you were able to price match to your original lower category, the price generally would be less so you would get more OBC- which does not make sense.

It was sent via email with my claim rejection when I claimed a drop against my "new" 8N.

From the Carnival email:

"on exercising a price protection. The lower rates must be for the original category purchased"

My original ES was 8B my paid for upgrade was 8N, I can only claim a price drop difference if my original 8B drops below "what I paid for the 8B." even though I am now 8N ES

Seems the only reason you remain ES when you pay for an upgrade on your original ES is so you cannot cancel or do name changes,you remain ES for Carnivals benefit which makes sense.

Den

Hold up.....I've seen countless threads involving ES and folks proclaiming that when a cat above them dropped below what they paid, they not only upgraded but ALSO got the obc. I'd keep calling back until you get a rep that understands ES. I think you got screwed OP.

Thanks for your responses.

Our TA called Carnival and they said we do NOT have spa privileges because it was an upgrade since we originally booked the Cove Balcony. She asked to speak to a supervisor since that didn't seem right since we upgraded ourselves and it wasn't that Carnival was offering a free upgrade or automatically upgraded us. The supervisor confirmed that what they did was correct. We were not eligible for the OBC even though the spa balcony was cheaper than what we paid because we originally booked a cove balcony. You can either upgrade OR get an OBC if the price drops in your current category...not both. So, my guess is that if the spa cabin was even $1 more than what we paid originally and had to pay extra out of pocket when we upgraded then we probably would have gotten spa privileges. But, since we didn't pay extra to upgrade then it is considered a 'free upgrade' and we aren't eligible for spa privileges.

Oh well! I've never had spa privileges before so it isn't like I'll miss them. I was just very excited about trying them out.

Seems like some get lucky with ES upgrades but like me it is hard to explain to the lucky ones that the ES rules may not be as cut&dry as they thought!

Den

Hold up.....I've seen countless threads involving ES and folks proclaiming that when a cat above them dropped below what they paid, they not only upgraded but ALSO got the obc. I'd keep calling back until you get a rep that understands ES. I think you got screwed OP.

I dont think the carnival reps understand ES fully so how can we:confused:

If OP price matched against the higher cat spa balcony without requesting the upgrade they may have just got OBC and no upgrade,if they wanted OBC only they may have got an upgrade they perhaps didnt want instead:rolleyes:

I think they interpret the ES rules as they go!

Den

Archived