Windstar and Oceania

Love.II.Cruise

Has anyone done both of these cruise lines? If so, what is your opinion comparing these lines (pros/cons)?

Both lines are very good. The key, in my mind, is the size of the ship and itinerary you are looking at. We prefer the small ships so we avoid the new O ships. But other than that, we believe each line is comparable.

Both are wonderful lines—you can’t go wrong. But, they are different. We’ve been on both the smaller Wind Star (2 times), the larger Wind Surf, and Oceania’s Marina. Here’s how my husband and I would rate them:

· Hanging out on deck: Windstar gets a huge plus. If you love water, these are the ships for you—you are so close to the water you can hear it slap the side of the ship. And, if you are lucky enough to sail without the engines—amazing!

· Rooms: Lean Oceania. We had a standard balcony on the Marina and it was palatial in size compared to Windstar (the bathroom, too). Having said that, we are very happy with Windstar’s rooms. Windstar gets the nod for better drawer space.

· Food: Oceania for the win. The line is known for their food and after sailing with them, I understand why. The specialty restaurants are wonderful and having the option of the Terrace Café in the evening is a great option.

· Ambiance: They are totally different. Apples and oranges. Oceania is a bit more sophisticated. Windstar is a very approachable yacht. We love both; however, I would lean Windstar in the Caribbean as it just seems to fit.

· Entertainment: The same. Neither has the big shows of the big lines. Our experience is that it’s a quiet crowd in the evening. We love that.

· Travelers: Very similar in our experience. Smart, well-traveled, friendly, interesting adults. But here is where size matters. Within a day or two, you are familiar with everyone on a Windstar cruise—it becomes like family.

Take both of them. You can never have too many cruises. :)

Archived