Carnival Salsa & Salsa or Rum Tasting?

LSUTigers2008

My mom and I are going on a cruise in April. My mom isn't big on adventure and more interested in history. I've narrowed down our Progreso excursions to the Salsa and Salsa or the Historic Merida and Mayan Rum Tasting Tour which are both offered through Carnival. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Both receive great reviews on Carnival. Any feedback is appreciated! :) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to Progreso in Oct. This will be our 3rd time to Progreso. The other times we stayed in Progreso and did our own thing. This time we wanted to see Merida. We elected the Historic Merida and Mayan Rum Tasting tour. I have read great reviews here on CC within cruise reports about the Salsa tour. But thought my husband would prefer the rum tasting tour. We are spending a week in Galveston after the cruise and will be back at the end of Oct. I will try to remember to come back and do a review of the Rum Tasting tour.

• 2 months later...
We are going to Progreso in Oct. This will be our 3rd time to Progreso. The other times we stayed in Progreso and did our own thing. This time we wanted to see Merida. We elected the Historic Merida and Mayan Rum Tasting tour. I have read great reviews here on CC within cruise reports about the Salsa tour. But thought my husband would prefer the rum tasting tour. We are spending a week in Galveston after the cruise and will be back at the end of Oct. I will try to remember to come back and do a review of the Rum Tasting tour.

Did you enjoy this excursion?

We did enjoy the tour. We met at the port and got on a bus. The bus was about 3/4 full. We drove to Merida, which was about an hour away. Our tour guide was full of information about the area. You could tell he loved his town and heritage.

When we got to Merida, different sites were pointed out. We drove around the monument in town, but didn't get out of the bus. We did go to the oldest church in North America. We did get out here and was able to go inside the church and walk around. The church is across from the town square and this area is very beautiful.

The next stop was the rum factory and tasting. Here we walked around the different areas of the factory and saw the process of making rum. The tasting was done last and we tasted 7 or 8 flavors. My favorite was the coconut. After the tasting you can buy bottles of the rum if you desire. Several sizes of bottles were available. We did buy 2 bottles and brought back home.

The bus ride back to the ship was a little quieter. The tour guide did speak some, but not as much on the way back to port.

We did enjoy it and glad we did this tour. Seeing Merida was very interesting. Next time I would like to see more of Merida.

The people we talked to that did the Salsa & Salsa tour really enjoyed it. We hadn't made definite plans for Cozumel and my husband had decided to stay on the ship. So I booked the Salsa & Salsa tour in Cozumel and had a great time. There were a few of us on that tour that were by ourselves. I sat with a family of 3 and a couple. They included me in and I didn't feel like a third wheel at all.

So either tour should be fun.

Archived