Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

We just returned from the Explorer and were in GC on Friday. We rented a jeep through Avis and drove out to Rum Point for a relaxing day. This was the highlight of our trip!

An Avis van picked us up at the Blue Iguana just up the street from the pier. It took about a 10 mins to reach the Avis rental center near the airport. All of the paperwork was processed quickly (we had made a reservation) and we were on our way. Avis provided us with a great map and easy directions. It took about 40 mins to reach Rum Point, driving through the middle of the island and really experiencing GC. There is still extensive hurricane damage from Ivan. There are many areas where large patches of trees are uprooted, houses are completely demolished. But there is some rebuilding and clearing going on.

Once you reach Rum Point, you will know you have entered paradise. There are so many shades of blue waters, white powdery beach, you never want to leave. You park at the Rum Point Bar (you can't miss it). There are very clean bathroom facilities including showers, a great beach bar (The Wreck) that serves the best drinks we had all vacation and great food. You have free use of the of lounge chairs, and there are tons of water toys to rent at a very reasonable rate. The beach was very quiet, only a couple dozen people. You can snorkle from the beach, there were tons of fish under the pier (including my close encounter with a barracuda and quite a few stingrays). We spent about 4 hours enjoying the beach and having lunch. The staff were very nice and very welcoming. We then drove around the edge of the Point and found a deserted beach at the end of Finger Cay. In the shallow waters we found about 50 starfish, totally amazing and beautiful.

If you are looking for something quiet and not as commercialized as Seven Mile beach, this is the place. We rented a jeep for $79 for the day, including insurance and the temporary driving permit. But you can rent a car for as little as $49. You were not bothered by anyone trying to sell you anything.

We enjoyed this so much that we are planning on going back and renting a house or villa for a week. This is a great place for either couples or families.

We returned to Avis by 3:30, they transported us right back to Blue Iguana and we had plenty of time to shop before catching the tender back to the boat.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I'd love to have more people experience this complete paradise!

Did you happen to notice if cabs were readily available at the beach to go back to the pier?

We want to get away from 7 mile beach. While this sounds a bit far away, it might be worth considering.

You won't want to take a cab to Rum Point unless you are made of money LOL. It's quite a drive and taxis, along with a lot of other things, are very expensive on Grand Cayman. I would be willing to bet a taxi to Rum Point from the pier would cost $100 or more. Renting a car is the way to go if you want to visit Rum Point for the day.

Definitely rent a car. I did not see any taxis on our way to and from Rum Point. There are a few excursions that include a brief visit to Rum Point. There were actually 2 excursion boats that stopped by while we were there. A few people got off each boat and had lunch at the Wreck Bar. But, it did not appear they had long enough to actually stretch out and enjoy the beach.

There is a ferry that runs from the other side of the island to Rum Point from the Hyatt Hotel. But, the ferry is currently not running because the hotel is not completely up and running since the hurricane. There was a reference to the Hyatt Hotel on our bill from the Wreck Bar, so I think that the Hyatt actually owns and runs Rum Point. The staff at the Bar indicated that it was expected the ferry would start running again in the next few months. So, depending on when you are traveling, you may be able to take a taxi to the ferry pier at the Hyatt (just beyond Seven Mile Beach) and then take the ferry over.

But really, it was so easy to rent the car and get around. There is very little traffic once you get out of the airport area on the way to Rum Point. Driving on the left side of the road is easy to get used to (the jeep we rented still had the driver side/steering wheel on the left of the car just like we are used to here in the US), and since there is hardly anyone on the road with you, it's not difficult. And, although the speed limit was suppose to be around 30-40, we quickly realized that the natives drive significantly faster.

Feel free to email me at: smdbelskis@prodigy.net and I will be happy to email you some pictures (until I figure out how to post them here!).

Balcony,

We did Seven Mile years ago. Seven Mile is very popular, so it will be crowded. It is only a short taxi drive from the pier, so everyone tends to head in that direction if just looking for a beach day. Rum Point requires a form of transportation other than taxi to get there.

Rum Point is very quiet, there will not be many people on the beach. I kind of remember the surf at Seven Mile being a little wavy, not much, but still wavy. Rum Point is the water very gently lapping against the beach. There is no fee for chair rentals at the beach, there is also quite a bit of shade with hammocks strung between various trees for your relaxation. Seven Mile is wide open beach. Usually at Seven Mile you will need to set up near some kind of a hotel for amenities, at Rum Point you will be sitting in front of the Wreck Bar which is a full service bar and restaurant, it's the only place there so you can't miss it. Also, I believe it is Red Sail sports that has various water toys for a very reasonable rental price. I am sure there are places at Seven Mile for this as well.

Basically, Seven Mile is a lot closer, will be busier. Rum Point is going to be the quintessential tropical beach with crystal clear waters (yeah, I am a little biased!). Definitely worth the trip.

Let me know if you would like me to email you some pics of Rum Point. One look and believe me, you will do anything to get there!

I love Grand Cayman, but I LOVE RUM POINT, boatbunny is right it is paradise

This is the most relaxing place I have ever been. Definitely rent a car, it takes a little while to get there - but it's easy to find and so worth it!

The water and beach are incredible. They have water sports and a gift shop. The bathrooms are clean and the beach restaurant/bar is great.

Have fun, I'm jeolous

I love Grand Cayman, but I LOVE RUM POINT, boatbunny is right it is paradise

This is the most relaxing place I have ever been. Definitely rent a car, it takes a little while to get there - but it's easy to find and so worth it!

The water and beach are incredible. They have water sports and a gift shop. The bathrooms are clean and the beach restaurant/bar is great.

Have fun, I'm jeolous

Hey Momcruzer,

I know, I love helping people out, but I am so jealous of them going!

I was hoping that when I woke up this morning my Mother's Day present would be tickets to GC and a villa rental! Oh well, I guess the chocolate truffles are pretty close! (LOL)

Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Hi boatbunny,

I'd read your post about Rum Point and thought it would be a nice day. We just want to relax when we hit Grand Cayman and the kids would like to rent jet skis. I'd also like to drive around and explore a bit!

We're in port on the Coral Princess from 7am - 3pm(next April school vaca). Is that enough time to rent a car, enjoy the beach and get back without feeling like I'm going to "miss the boat"!

Also, is there a jeep rental place closer to the pier?

Thank you,

Bobbie

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't been online for a day or 2, so just saw your posts.

I do have some great pictures of Rum Point, haven't been able to figure out how to post them online yet. But if you would like to email me, I would be happy to forward them to you immediately.

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

Hi Where's Next! Nice to see another NH resident cruising along. On our April vacation (week of 4/24) there were lots of us NH school vacationers, as well as NJ who apparently has the same week. You should have plenty of time to get to Rum Point if you are there 7 to 3. I am going to give a bunch of info below about Rum Point and getting there, etc as so many people have emailed me, I love sharing the info. When you check out the Cico Avis website for the car rental, they mention early cruise ship arrivals and making accomodations for making pickups before 8 am. It is about a 40 min ride to Rum Point, but hardly any traffic (I think we passed a couple dozen cars, that's it). Really, we spent 4 hours out there and got to do quite a bit. Now, I could have spent the rest of the week there!

Here is the website for Cico Avis:

http://aviscayman.com/cruise.htm#Pickup_Information

Please note that this is an Avis like we have here in the States, but it is independent. They very much have the "no problem mon" attitude, so don't worry if you don't get an official looking web confirm like we are used to. It is a real agency like you would see if you went to Disney World. When I emailed them right before the trip to reconfirm, my responding email was "you are all set". Cars were new, good condition, low mileage, etc.

You can rent water toys when you get to Rum Point through Red Sail Sports. Here is their website:

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

You may be able to contact them to see if you can reserve something ahead of time, especially if you are going to be short on time. The water is amazingly clear, shallow, and calm, great place for waverunners especially if you want to take kids out. They also have kayaks, water bikes, and lots more.

There is not much snorkeling, but if you do want to try, go under the pier. There were quite a few fish (including my brief up close and personal with a barracuda) and if you swim out just beyond the pier, there was some coral as well.

Also here is a website that has some good info about snorkeling around the island:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm#RumPoint

Click on the map next to the Rum Point paragraph, it gives directions to a beach that has an abundance of starfish. This was amazing to see, hundreds of them in the water. The road to get to this beach is right across the street from the entrance to Rum Point bar. Follow the road for maybe a mile to Finger Cay Road, and then follow that out to the beach area. You will drive through a concrete archway that makes you think you are entering a hotel or something, but there is nothing there. Walk into the water a few feet and start looking down. They are fairly large so you will see them. You do have to walk around a bit, in one area there were like 6 of them, then we walked further down the beach and came across tons of them.

The Wreck Bar is awesome for lunch. Lunch for 4 of us (2 kids eating hot dogs, cheeseburger, grilled chix sandwich) including a couple of beers and a tropical drink was $55 US.

Give yourself an hour to get back to Avis and another half hour to get back to the pier and tender back to the boat. Also, ask Avis to give you driving directions back to their office when you are heading back from Rum Point. This was a little confusing for us just because there was more traffic near the airport. But basically you are on 2 roads the whole way out to Rum Point.

Also, 2 ways to get there, long way via the coastal road, or short cut through the middle of the island on Frank Sound Road. Take the short cut, it is still scenic but gets you to Rum Point a lot faster and you'll have more time there.

Okay, hope this helps anyone out who is interested. But, please feel free to email me with any other questions or if you would like to see pics. When I get some time I'll try to figure out how to post them!

PS- Where's Next, have you cruised Princess before? Do you like them? How are they with kids?

Hi boatbunny,

We cruised Princess this April school vacation - Diamond Princess Mex Riviera. This was our first Princess cruise and we LOVED it.

The kids loved the number of FRESHWATER pools because you never feel crowded. Also they really liked the kids program.

I can't say enough about Princess. It was truly a relaxing vacation.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you out!!

Thank you for all the great info on Rum Pt. That's where we're heading next April!!

Now, I've got to mow the lawn...rain and soccer all weekend!!! I came home from work early to do it!

Bobbie

Hi boatbunny-

Thanks to all of your great information about renting a car (Jeep) and going to Rum Point, we have decided to try it out on May 25th when we stop at Grand Cayman. We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess for the 2nd time and can't wait to check it out. We have a reservation with Cico Avis and everything seems to be fine. You are right, they are very informal!

I've printed out all your information and will take it with me to help with directions and advice.

We are former MA residents, Florida now, and have only recently started cruising again after taking many when we were still "up north". We are loving it again and especially Princess!

awfw

Hi boatbunny-

Thanks to all of your great information about renting a car (Jeep) and going to Rum Point, we have decided to try it out on May 25th when we stop at Grand Cayman. We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess for the 2nd time and can't wait to check it out. We have a reservation with Cico Avis and everything seems to be fine. You are right, they are very informal!

I've printed out all your information and will take it with me to help with directions and advice.

We are former MA residents, Florida now, and have only recently started cruising again after taking many when we were still "up north". We are loving it again and especially Princess!

awfw

Thanks, I am so glad that the info is helpful. Please be sure to send me an email or update the thread to let me know how you enjoyed it.

Where did you live in MA? I was born and raised in Andover, my husband in Cambridge. We have family in Arlington, Middleboro, and my husbands parents have a summer home in North Falmouth on the Cape . Also, we are just over the MA line so we are in MA on a daily basis, my husband works in Lowell, and I most recently worked in Boston (yes, a very horrible 2 hour commute one way!)

Just be sure to ask Avis to give you directions back to the rental agency once you are heading back from Rum Point. It is a little confusing, but there are only a few roads so we did find it within 10 mins. But just in case you are running late it will be good to know.

Have a great trip! I will be thinking of you on the 25th and looking at my pictures with total envy!!! LOL

Michelle

Michelle-

Thanks again for the advice about getting return directions to the rental agency. I'll be sure to do it, I really don't want to be standing on the dock waving goodbye to the ship!

We are from Reading so we are definitely former "neighbors". I will let you know how everything goes when we return. I'm really looking forward to this adventure!

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info, boatbunny, the uncrowded beach sounds a lot nicer to me!:) especially lounging in a hammock with that frou-frou drink! i read there was a ferry, which isn't running presently, but we're not going til 01/06. have you ever taken the ferry?

thanks for the info, boatbunny, the uncrowded beach sounds a lot nicer to me!:) especially lounging in a hammock with that frou-frou drink! i read there was a ferry, which isn't running presently, but we're not going til 01/06. have you ever taken the ferry?

No, I don't have any experience with the ferry. But, it can't be a very far ride on the actual ferry because you can see the other side of the island from Rum Point. I don't think it is a very far cab ride to the ferry launch on the Georgetown side of the island, and you can see the pier the ferry arrives at in the pics I sent of Rum Point, it's right on the beach.

There is probably a good chance that the ferry will be up and running by your cruise, I think they were trying to shoot for the fall to have it back up and running. It probably is easier than renting the car, and if the ferry times are good and allow you to spend some quality time there, I'd go that route.

Just have to share this one, my 5 year old comes into the kitchen last night while I was making dinner, and invited me to her new "beach restaurant" she had created in the family room. I was presented with a "froo froo" drink (her words) in a fake coconut shell (I have no clue where that came from!!). Of course it was only a pretend froo froo drink, but I laughed because yesterday was exactly one month since we arrived in Miami for our cruise! And one month ago, I was having a real froo froo drink on the beach in Miami! She also calls them "loo-loo" drinks because they make people "loo-loo"!! Gotta love kids!

After your wonderful review, we've decided to visit Rum Point. Is it necessary to make a reservation for a Jeep before we get there, or would we be able to rent one once we get on the island? TIA!

Thank you, I am so glad that so many people have inquired and are going to check it out, it really is so beautiful. Please let me know how you enjoyed it!

I would probably recommend making the reservation before you go. Cico Avis did not take a deposit, although they did take a credit card for confirmation. My credit card was not charged until the day we were on GC. I've seen a lot of posts about numerous cruise ships being in GC on the same day (upwards of 10!), and though renting a car is probably not the most popular thing, I don't think the rental agencies have an extensive inventory. Plus, they will have all the paperwork ready for you to just sign and get on with your day a lot quicker!

Have an awesome trip, one of the gentleman who emailed me and I sent pictures to is actually there today, meanwhile, I am sitting here in NH with our second Nor'Easter hitting us hard with heavy, wind blown rain and cold temps! I just hope he remembers to have a drink for me!!!!

Michelle

Boatbunny- you are great! I try to provide info to other members upon my return, too. I booked a jeep (ragtop) with Avis for 8/17 -can't wait. Rum Point sounds great and your links to the starfish beach are great. Now I just have to remember to print them out...

We went with Nativeway last year- as Frances was churning up the Caribbean. The swells at Stingray City were 5-6 feet. My son wouldn't get off the boat (not Voyager, but Nativeways). Rays were fun. We then went to Coral Gardens and another spot to snorkel, but saw nothing, due to turbulence.

We were going to do Nativeways Reef Rays & Rum Point, but cost for the 4 of us $$$ and no guarantee snorkeling will be good- have read posts here that it;s hit or miss since the destruction.

Really looking forward to chill out at Rum Point, snorkel a little & drive back.

You saved me a ton of research (or $ if I went with Nativeways)

Thanks Sealegs, I hope you have a wondeful time! I don't blame your son for not getting in the water in 5 foot seas, I wouldn't either! It's hard to snorkel when you are being rocked back and forth in rough seas.

Please let me know how you enjoyed it, we can't wait to go back! I was showing pictures to my sister in law the other day, and another friend, and it looks like we have a group going with us next year!

I will also say a little prayer that August is a quieter hurricane month than last year, then again, let the whole summer be quieter and less destructive!

Have fun!

Michelle

Archived