Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Labour Day (May 1st) in Belgrade

H i

We are on Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe - embarking on April 26th. I have just discovered that May 1st is a National Holiday.... and we will be in Belgrade that day.

Has anyone travelled through Eastern Europe on May 1st? Is everything shut down? Are there lots of activities?

Any information would be most welcome.

Thanks...

Fran

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Fran,
Do not worry about activities. You'll have City and Kalemegdan Fortress tour which does not include Military museum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Museum_(Belgrade)
And even if it (Museum) is closed on that day you won't miss a lot. The main exposition is mostly outside and no ticket is needed. The fortress is always open. I am not sure about Tesla museum. We did not go there after reading tripadvisor reviews: not much to see...
Belgrade is famous for its shopping. We went to a pharmacy and bought what we needed at a very good price.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon View Post
Fran,
Do not worry about activities. You'll have City and Kalemegdan Fortress tour which does not include Military museum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Museum_(Belgrade)
And even if it (Museum) is closed on that day you won't miss a lot. The main exposition is mostly outside and no ticket is needed. The fortress is always open. I am not sure about Tesla museum. We did not go there after reading tripadvisor reviews: not much to see...
Belgrade is famous for its shopping. We went to a pharmacy and bought what we needed at a very good price.
Doubt we will be able to experience any of the shopping, as I expect that all shops will be closed.

Oh well - will just pray for sun and warm weather... and plan on enjoying the top deck of the Aegir.

Fran

Last edited by franski; January 22nd, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
Doubt we will be able to experience any of the shopping, as I expect that all shops will be closed.
Fran
You will. When I say shopping I do not mean clothes. Think about all kind of spices: e.g. "vegeta", paprika... Also local plum and grape brandy (called rakija), flavored tea, coffee....
All supermarkets should stay open even on a Labor Day.
Btw, Viking does a free shuttle to the city center.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon View Post
You will. When I say shopping I do not mean clothes. Think about all kind of spices: e.g. "vegeta", paprika... Also local plum and grape brandy (called rakija), flavored tea, coffee....
All supermarkets should stay open even on a Labor Day.
Btw, Viking does a free shuttle to the city center.
That's good to know!!

Thanks for taking the time to post, and provide some details.

Fran