Question - Diptheria Shot for Russia

We will be taking a Baltic cruise this summer (August 1st) and along with our documents was an advisory for diptheria vaccinations for Russia (St. Petersbury). Has anyone any information regarding this and/or if they found it necessary to get this vaccine before entering the country?

Thanks,

Chaygal

I went ahead and got the diptheria shot a few years ago because it kept popping up on the list of immunizations for places that we were visiting. It's a combination shot for diptheria and tetanus. Some people say it hurts, but mine didn't hurt. I also got the Hepatitis A shot; a booster is required in 6 months for that one.

I have a lot of health care professionals in my family, and they highly recommended that almost everyone should have these shots, but I'm sure your doctor would advise you if they aren't a good idea for you in particular physical situation. There was a Hepatitis A outbreak in Tennessee recently. The risks of contracting Diptheria may be low, but 10% of people who contract it die, so I just figured why not go ahead if it can be so easily avoided with a simple shot. Because these are fairly standard immunizations, my insurance company covered them.

Hope you have a great trip,

Donna

I went ahead and got the diptheria shot a few years ago because it kept popping up on the list of immunizations for places that we were visiting. It's a combination shot for diptheria and tetanus. Some people say it hurts, but mine didn't hurt.
I did this for my Baltic cruise 10 years ago. It was no hassle. The combination vaccine lasts for 10 years - and having 10 years' tetanus protection in one go was a great boon, as it's one of the things that you should always have anyway. I've only just been reminded that I now need to get it topped up.

You may not "need" the shot to travel to Russia, but as already mentioned, it is one of the vaccines that everyone should get every 10 years. Of course, being a big chicken when it comes to shots, I'm overdue and hoping the "recommendation" of the vaccine for this trip will be enough to get me to a doctor for one...:(

Certainly seems like a good idea, whether you need it or not. I have had a booster within the past 10 years, but my wife had not. She got one today, and her Dr.'s office did not charge for it, the nurse explaining that there was no charge (to her) since the CDC called for it. Not sure that will carry weight in every office or every insurance plan, but anybody seeking one might mention that and see if any co-pay is waived.

Like someone said, it's part of the tetanus shot and that should be boosted every ten years anyway.

The doctors say you don't need hepatitis shots either in Western Europe but several cases have emerged. Why take a chance? Your fruits and veggies are going to be washed in that water...so are the glasses and the hands of the people who prepare your food.

I did this for my Baltic cruise 10 years ago. It was no hassle. The combination vaccine lasts for 10 years - and having 10 years' tetanus protection in one go was a great boon, as it's one of the things that you should always have anyway. I've only just been reminded that I now need to get it topped up.
I've just got back from having my shots this afternoon.

Tetanus is no longer available on its own - at least from this travel clinic - and there is a combination tetanus/diphtheria/polio shot which is good for 10 years. So as my tetanus/diphtheria had expired, and my polio only had 18 months left to go, this triple shot was a good idea.

I also discovered that my typhoid jab was due in July, so I had that done at the same time.

As the travel clinic is fond of saying, I shouldn't really travel as far as the office without tetanus, polio, hep A and typhoid.

We will be taking a Baltic cruise this summer (August 1st) and along with our documents was an advisory for diptheria vaccinations for Russia (St. Petersbury). Has anyone any information regarding this and/or if they found it necessary to get this vaccine before entering the country?

Thanks,

Chaygal

I will be traveling with Celebrity on the Constellation on June 4th and I read the same advisory. I just went ahead and had the Diptheria/Tetanus vaccination as it had been many years since I had had one and my doc says you should have one every 10 years or so. Don't know if it was necessary or not.

Carolyn

Our local travel immunization clinic not only recommended Tetanus and Diphtheria, but Hepatitis A as well, citing Hep A outbreaks on some recent cruise ships! So - I'll be getting all 3.

Mike

Archived