La Romana stand up paddle boarding

Hi everyone!

We'll be docking at La Romana next month. We all want to try stand up paddle boarding and have seen links on here to Bayahibe SUP http://bayahibesup.com/

I've read great reviews about them on Trip Advisor and the owner seems very helpful in replying to all my emails. Just wanted to know if anyone on this forum has done an excursion with them? We're going to make reservations for the Paddle Board Surfari. The water color looks awesome! Can't wait to give it a try!

I did the SUP with Yumi in March. It was absolutely wonderful. The 3 of us had never tried it before. Yumi gave us instruction on all the ins and outs of paddle-boarding. The water was a bit rough...not the usual calm seas but Yumi and her assistant, Wilson, were very encouraging and we were able to stand and paddle around. Yumi sent a cab to pick us up right at the port. It was a piece of cake walking out of the port and seeing the sign with our name while other people waited in line for a taxi. I would highly recommend Yumi at http://bayahibesup.com/ to anyone wanting to give paddle-boarding a try whether you are a newbie like us or a veteran boarder. You won't be sorry!

Our group of 8 (in our 40's and 50's) did the SUP with Yumi and Wilson...what a great time! Yumi was very helpful with making our transportation plans, and our lesson learning how to SUP. We also wanted to tour the cigar factory when we were finished, and she helped arrange our taxi from Bayahibe to the factory. I would highly recommend doing this when you are in La Romania! She responded very quickly to all my questions and concerns. I enjoyed this so much, I am looking to buy a SUP board to use here on our little lake at home!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well the reviews were bang on! Our group of 4 had an awesome time! The transfer went smoothly, Yumiko and her assistant Wilson were fantastic hosts and patient instructors. One of our group was struggling with his balance so Yumiko spent extra time with him and managed to get him paddling around comfortably by the end of the tour. You do feel a little wobbly when you first try to stand up LOL. But the water is sooo beautiful, clear and refreshing you want to fall in!! I was surprised how easy it was to learn and how quickly you feel comfortable on the water. I definitely want to try SUP at home, but only in warm water!

Oh and the fresh pineapple slices they supplied for refreshment break were out of this world! I've never had such sweet pineapple before.

Another nice touch was that they don't charge extra for your photos, unlike so many other excursions. With your permission they put them on their facebook page where you can download. We didn't want ours on facebook so she sent them by email instead. We got some beautiful photos, the view from the water is just so pretty and photogenic, when you're not concentrating on balancing lol.

We spent a good 2 hours on the water and were finished by around midday so there was plenty of time for lunch and some cold Presidente beers. Check out Saona Cafe and their tasty Lion Fish dishes.

After lunch we did a bit of gift shop browsing, nothing to write home about though. Yumiko told us we could find good Dominican coffee in the supermarket for local prices which was good to know. We bought some Cafe Santadomingo, it smells good but I've yet to try it. We spent the rest of the day lounging on the small beach in front of saono cafe. Our driver picked us up at 3pm and we were back at port by 3.30.

I'd definitely recommend BayahibeSUP and stand up paddle boarding!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from our August 31st Breeze cruise and we also did SUP boarding in La Romana. The reviews are spot on. Only me and DH on this excursion and we were given so much attention and guidance.

Yumi arranged for the taxi to pick us up at the port and we were at Bayahibe beach about 20-25 minutes later. Yumi met us and got us all set up and Wilson was our instructor. He did a fabulous job and went beyond to help us feel comfortable before taking us down the coast line.

We took a beach break on a secluded pert on the beach that Wilson referred to as Secret Beach. That part of the beach had underground springs feeding into it. You could actually feel the "cold" spring water in some areas and Wilson found one spring and let us feel the flow coming up with our toes. We were also given fresh cold pineapple and all the water we could drink.

We really enjoyed the SUP boarding and would like to continue it at home.

Don't hesitate to booke with http://bayahibesup.com. You won't be disappointed.

Archived